25 | the special frappe

Daehyun scrubs furiously at the cage.

It's been a week of silence and she feels so done with everything. The ignoring, the dodging, the absences that stretched way too long for her comfort. She misses summer, back when everything was fresh and new and all right so she wouldn't have to feel guilty about things she didn't even know why she was guilty about. She misses the novelty of the cat shelter and Café Callisto.

She misses Vernon.

"Shut up," she mutters viciously to herself, making Cobalt meow in surprised protest. It doesn't work, obviously, as things never do. The thoughts don't leave her mind, the ones that have been haunting her all week, and now they're trying to slaughter her peace of mind—and succeeding. "Shut up."

Cobalt meows again.

Daehyun throws down the cloth frustratedly and sits down on her butt with a hard thump. The lucky cat clock on the wall keeps ticking on merrily, adding to her frustration in the worst way possible.

Vernon hasn't shown up yet.

And it's not like she's too early or anything. Well, she was, but she always is, and it's already been half an hour since her arrival, which is well past his usual time. She tells herself not to be worried about something as minor as that, but Vernon is not the kind of person to skip appointments without prior notice, as showcased by the carefully-kept table calendar in his room. Nerd.

Jeonghan hasn't bothered to offer up any explanations for the blond's absence either, but that's not half as surprising. Jeonghan isn't the kind of person to meddle in other people's affairs, or even give a damn to ask about it in the first place.

Daehyun glances at the cage at the end with the Korat, usually reserved for Vernon, since the gray cat doesn't like anyone else touching its cage. The Korat looks back unblinkingly, its tawny, hunter's moon eyes set on her intently as if he knows exactly what she's thinking. She wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

"Yeah, I miss him too, buddy," she murmurs reflexively. Then she sighs, throwing her hands in the air and glaring up at the fluorescent-lit ceiling. "And here I am, talking to a cat!"

The Korat looks unimpressed.

Daehyun sighs, turning away. It's not just Vernon—this weekend is the day she's supposed to meet her dad again, and that's something she looks forward to even less than cleaning cat cages. One would think that after so much time, it would be easier, but it really isn't. In fact, looking at him in person, so happy and satisfied—happier and more satisfied than he used to be before, it makes everything a thousand times worse.

Livvy nudges her knee with her nose, looking up at her with big, pleading eyes. Daehyun reaches over to stroke her head, but even that gesture feels empty and listless, and Livvy seems to understand that as well. She mewls, pawing at her jeans and resting her head in Daehyun's lap, her eyes squinted shut.

The gesture reminds her so much of Vernon that it feels like a dynamite stick exploded in her chest, and she has to look away to breathe clearly.

That doesn't work, because her gaze lands on a calm Wonwoo studying her from his perch. His ears twitch, head tilting curiously, which is Vernon all over again.

Daehyun groans, covering her eyes with her hands. It's bad enough to be missing him so sorely, but she also had to be sitting in a room full of cats.

How could she ever think of anyone but the cat boy himself?

"Jeonghan!" Daehyun calls loudly, unable to take in any longer. The Aristocats keyring is still secured safely in her pocket, but she presses up against the glass and yells as loudly as she dares. The incident when she's been locked up inside because of the painter has taught her a few things. "Jeonghan!"