Chapter 2: That Was Enough

Song for the start of the chapter!

Wren walked into the school building with a look of disdain. She was wasting her time here, but she couldn't skip. If she did, her parents would know that something was up, unraveling her secret that she planned to take to her grave. She only had weeks left until she graduated from high school. In her mind, she knew she could do it, but it was still pointless to attend all the same.

"Hey bird, when are you going to fly away?" a guy with golden locks asked her as he threw a paper ball at her. He laughed as his friends joined him, feeding on their support.

She shot him a look in silence as she got her books out of her locker. "You know, Chet, maybe you should watch out for your own back, after all, don't you need a c to graduate with your friends?" she asked, flaunting a smile as she stuffed her books in her bag then slammed her locker shut.

His smile slid off his smug, tanned face. He was sure no one knew about his grades. Somehow they got out.

And this is what she lived for. With a pleasant smile, she walked away to the first class she had. Charles, or Chet for short, was friends with Wren at one point, but a lot can happen in six years. Now they were committed to making each other's lives miserable.

Wren walked into the classroom and sighed, waiting nothing more to melt away from this place. She had 6 months and she was spending it here. She pulled out a book and opened it, trying to make sure she was more invisible than normal.

"Wren, are you going to help with the yearbook this year?" a girl asked with brown curly hair that was nearly as perky as her personality as she sat next to Wren.

Wren looked up from her book in silence. She never agreed to help last year, so why was she going to help this year? Wren signed up for nothing in her high school. Before yesterday, she saw high school as pointless, but now it was a complete waste of time since she wasn't challenged here.

"So what do you say, Wren?" the girl asked, snapping Wren back into focus.

Why did she think Wren wanted to do anything to help? Was she just that desperate for people? "No," Wren said simply as she turned to her book again.

"Give up Ally, Wren rather be nothing than something," Chet said with a chuckle as one of his friends gave him a high five.

Wren looked over to Chet and shot him a look. "At least I value life outside my high school career, something that you'll never seem to get over. Let's face it, Chet, these will always be your best years. You've already peaked."

Chet's face turned red from her harsh words. "You're a little piece of trash," he spat out to Wren.

Wren merely shrugged. It wouldn't be the first time she heard someone tell her that she was worthless. Instead, she put her nose in her book and waited until the teacher came. Words could only do so much damage, and she was good at refusing to listen to them.

Within seconds, a teacher that the class had never seen before walked into the room. She was tall, young, and beautiful, completely the opposite of Mr. Essig who normally was their teacher for this period.

She dropped her stuff at the desk and looked at the class with hope in her eyes. "Hello, I am Miss Jennings. I will replace Mr. Essig for the rest of the semester since he broke his back during the weekend."

A few people chuckled slightly, trying to imagine how Mr. Essig, a fat old man, broke his back.

Miss Jennings faced the class with a stony face. "That's not a laughing matter," she said firmly and instantly the class stopped. For as young as she was, she carried confidence and demanded attention and respect. She wouldn't accept anything less from her class, even if it was just temporary.