67. The Sound of our Love

Once everyone had changed, they sat comfortably in the living room. Lilly continued the previous conversation-- directly to the point at her husband's urging.

      "So, Anne. I apologize if this is a bit personal, but is the pattern on your shoulder sensitive?" Lilly delicately proceeded, hoping not to incur her husband's stern glare.

With Anne curled up at his side, Jae wordlessly answered the question as he brushed Anne's collarbone. She giggled. Lilly beamed. Jae raised his eyebrow devilishly and one-upped his action by first kissing Anne's neck and then kissing her mark. Han immediately interjected.

      "Jaeden..." Han's voice dropped off silently as he watched the faint glow appear from Anne's belly. Now it was his turn to be at a loss for words.

Silence settled over the room as they watched Jae place chaste kisses on Anne's collarbone. The light flickered from under her sweater. It was beautiful and faint, small yet seemingly powerful.

Lilly smiled.

      "Lines will be added as the baby grows. It's a pattern usually woven into the mark that Jae will leave. As a Kang, his mark will be some version of their family crest, and this design is representative of the child you carry."

Han continued. "As you know, for generations, people have tried to make claims of heritage for power and position. My lineage, my race, is not innocent. They have a hunger for many things, and although mistakes happen in both judgment and practice, this seems to be an evolutionary device to ensure that a child is of our line. It's not easy for a vampire child to be conceived, but obviously, it does happen.

"As you know, a supernatural is not going to offer their DNA for a paternity test willingly. Our genomes are continually changing as it is. Our kind has these marks so no one could claim a baby's parentage falsely."

The room was silent once again.

"This is one more way we knew for sure that the other child was not yours, Jaeden. No magic can produce that mark and its effects that I know of."

Han swirled his glass of whiskey around the large ice rock as he spread his arms across the back of his loveseat. His family crested pinky ring reflected the light from the demure crystal chandelier. With his legs crossed, and his suit jacket fully unbuttoned, Han looked quite relaxed.

      "Mom, does this mean you have one of these too?" Jae turned to her.

      "I do not have that mark exactly. When you were conceived, your father's mark changed to include a pair of crossed swords. A strong boy. Just like you." Lilly brightly smiled at her only son.

      "So since this looks a bit like a rose..." Anne raised her brows.

Lilly winked before she spoke.

      "Sorry. Spoiler if you wanted a surprise."

Jae mentally caught up.

      "Wait. A girl! We are having a baby girl?" The excitement in his voice made the whole room grin.

Lilly nodded, and even Han let a toothy smile show.

Rhia couldn't contain herself. Her light exploded, and she let her full fae fly! She shifted and flitted around the room, bouncing from thing to thing before tiptoeing across the grand piano keys, creating some lovely music. She expended so much energy that she didn't shift back before taking a seat on the edge of a beautifully patterned saucer to catch her breath. Al walked over and gently picked her up. He then placed her in his breast pocket, unable to contain his chuckle. It had been a while since she last shifted.