p r o l o g u e

p r o l o g u e

I've never really believed in premonitions. The idea that someone was able to tell the happening of an event before it occurred was downright freaky. To me, the idea of a premonition had always been a myth, and I was happy to keep it that way. Of course, it was rumoured to only happen when a life changing even was right around the corner. In my opinion, the fact that it was "life changing" was more the reason to keep it a surprise. Where's the fun in knowing everything before it happens? Life was all about the twists and turns-- it's what made it exciting and thrilling. That little tug on your gut when you did something you knew you shouldn't. That wave of relief when you didn't get caught, followed by the guilt from doing something wrong and not getting caught. Would you have done it if you knew you wouldn't get caught? Probably not. Because the thrill was gone.

But on December 20th 2008, I swear I had a premonition. Now, it wasn't what I expected at all. It was far worse. All the movies made it look simple and painless. Just a small glimpse into your future and bada-bing bada-boom, it was over. What they forgot to mention was the painful twisting in your gut, the sweaty palms, the hyperventilating ... but the horrid feeling of emptiness definitely took the cake. It started out as a dream, one of those dreams you wake up from with your heart beating a million miles a minute. But it quickly turned into a nightmare I was trapped in.

- December 20th 2008 6:00 pm -

 They didn't trust me. They actually didn't trust me.

Why didn't they trust me? 

My head on my hands, I ignored their muted protests and hushed tones. While attempting to drown them out, I focused on feeling angry. I was angry they didn't want to leave me at home alone. I was angry they forced Lizzie on me. I was angry they liked the curly haired neighboor more than their own daughter; their flesh and blood. I was angry that they still treated me like a child. I was angry because they didn't trust me like they should.

I was just angry.

Through the hall window I noticed the snowflakes falling from the darkening sky, landing gently on the window sill. It hadn't snowed in ages. I stood there, watching the snowfall with not intentions of moving from my spot. I'd always found snow particularly magical, and today was no exception. With my eyes following every flake, a sudden feeling of unease crept into my stomach. I felt sweat trail down my neck and fiery white hot sensation catch in my stomach. My heart began to hammer in my chest at an irregular pace, drumming against my ribs so hard I was scared they would break.

 Something was terribly wrong. I swallowed hard, forcing myself not to run back down stairs to my parents. We'd fix everything when they got back. But the more I talked myself out of it, the stronger the pull in my gut became. In my head my thoughts became a jumbled mess of horrifying images and warnings. A lump formed in my throat and tears welled in my eyes, but I didn't know why.  Maybe they should wait until tomorrow, a voice in the back of my mind whispered, but I pushed it aside. I was being rediculous. They would be fine! With every fleck of snow, a new wave of nausea set in, but I couldn't look away. 

It was like I was under a spell. 

          "All I wanted was to spend time with them Alice, is that too much to ask?" My father's voice was quiet, but loud enough so I could hear. My mysterious moment of unease forgotten, my hands clenched into fists, furious that they would even dare to play the guilt card. 

Stomping my feet so that they'd hear, I made my way down the hall and to my room. 

      "She'll get over it Henry, she always does." My mother assured him, her voice taking the warm motherly tone she'd mastered over the years. Unfortunately, I didn't miss the hurt she was trying to cover up for my father's sake, but I was to angry to care. 

Downstairs my parents and my sister continued their good-byes, my mother calling for me to come down, but I stayed put. Not only had the feeling intensified, but I feared that if I as much as neared the stairs, I'd beg them to stay. That would defeat the purpose entirely. So instead, I ignored them. Eventually they gave up, throwing quick but sincere "I love you!" 's in my direction and getting nothing in response. I settled deeper into my pillows, waiting until I was absolutely sure they were gone to get off my bed and head to the television in the family room downstairs.

Before leaving my room, I walked over to my window which over looked the backyard, and with one last uncertain glance at the falling snow, I pulled the curtain closed. Never once did I notice the wind pick up right outside my window. Never once did I notice how dangerous the seemingly harmless snowflakes had become.

❅  ❅  ❅

-12:30 am-

         "We'll be back in an hour, not a second more." 

The stone step was cold enough to numb my skin through a quilted blanket, but I refused to go back inside. The snow fell fast and hard, covering the ground in a layer of brilliant white. The wind bit at my exposed skin painfully, making my eyes water. The quilt hung off my shoulders barely offering any warmth at all, but the ice I felt running through my veins couldn't be warmed by grandma's old quilt. Voices flooded the house behind me, but it's never felt emptier. I envied my sister Lizzie sleeping away in her bed, sweetly dreaming, oblivious to the nightmare that awaited her. I wished I could fall asleep. Midnight was said to be the darkest hour of the night, and after tonight I believed it. But as much as I wished I could be left alone in total and complete darkness, the flashing red and blue lights were a constant reminder of just how alone I'd always be. 

          "Thank you officer." Her voice was tired and strained. "Is there anything else you can tell us? Did they ... did they--" 

            "No Mrs. Henderson. I believe it was over quickly." 

I shut my eyes, shifting so that I faced away from the open door. I didn't want to listen; I didn't want to know. When I re-opened my eyes, I got an eyeful of the next-door neighbour's house. All the lights were on, including the last room to the right on the second level. He must be awake. Of course he was awake. His mum and his sister were in my kitchen. His mum had woken me up, dodging my flailing arms and kicking legs. The feeling had followed me into my sleep, turning my dreams into nightmares. His sister had made me tea; tea I'd left cold and untouched. But he had yet to make an appearance. And somehow I knew he wouldn't. 

My teeth ground together. I felt white hot emotion course through my veins replacing the cold. I sat up straighter, my hands gripping the ledge of the step fiercely. I'd never particularly liked the boy next door. And now I knew why. 

Because I hated him. 

_______________________________

hello guys! so this is the prologue to my first sotry I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it c: I'm aware that there will be a few spelling mistakes but rest assured that it is not because I am an illiterate, but because it's 2:00 am where I'm at and I can barely keep my eyes open! so to all of you who read and who voted I hope you know that I'll love you forever. and to those who aren't convinced yet, I hope the next chapters will make it up to you .xx 

- ellie