𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

28

Deep in my gut, I had the feeling that the free day after Keenan left would be my last taste of a stress-free life. I spent it sleeping. My job at Contented starts three days later but I was asked to drop by days prior to have a tour of the place and to deliver some belongings. Although I could've started right away, Liddell insisted to jump into the game on a Monday.

After sleeping in, I ate in the middle of the day—a whole pizza to myself. Overrated, yeah, but that won't ever stop me from eating it. Once my stomach had swallowed the whole box, I slept again, feeling satisfied. By midnight, Ralph knocked on my door, worried that I was dead.

The feeling in my gut was right. Some time into the next day, I found myself with Adil Essa in the diner we first hung out at. Nothing's special about the location aside from the food, though, given the many similar eat-outs in the city, its specialty was relative. The place is what the movies show you, nothing more and nothing less; a rectangular building, one wall with its upper half made of glass against a row of booths. There was a counter with stools before it, speakers on the corners set on a love song station, and a coffee machine nearby.

The moment I agreed on seeing him, something told me that he already had a feeling of what I was about to say. Although shameful, I'd be more guilty if I were to lead him on further. Ralph was correct: I was subconsciously picking Keenan, maybe even from the start.

The smell of potato fries wafted through my nostrils. Through the little window connecting the counter and the kitchen, I got a glimpse of our order. A minute later, the same tray had appeared in front of me. My appetite was absent.

Composed over a moment, I began, "I gotta tell you something."

Adil put his drink down, wiped his mouth, and replied, "I have to tell you something too."

I was curious then. We didn't part on best terms that Halloween night, but the man did not look like he held a grudge. I'd be more surprised if he did. Adil seems mature. In the few seconds between I told him 'You go first', I wondered what his news might be. Is he going to say the same? That he wants out of whatever this is?

"You sure?" he wondered and popped a fry into his mouth. Adil looked as Adil as an Adil could get: plain gray shirt under a black jacket, black jeans, black shoes, a thin silver necklace, and his shades in a breast pocket. In the other pocket, the head of an earphone dangled.

I took a french fry from the bowl between us, more absentmindedly than in a conscious attempt to eat, "Uh-huh. Shoot."

He shifted. The man clasped his hands together on the white vinyl surface. Adil gazed at me under lashes attached to a pair of pretty deep-set brown eyes. His lack of dark circles made me jealous. "Alicia kept bugging me to go to dinner with her which I did not want," he started, "So somehow, I dragged her boyfriend into it."

Oh, god. I already had a feeling of where the conversation was going. My face must've given me away. As Keenan said: I'm an open book. Adil leaned forward, mask serious. I heard it before he said it, "Come with me. It doesn't even have to mean anything. We can come as friends."

For once closing the Gia book, I controlled my features, forcing a blank state. I spoke, "Why don't you just say no?" but I was on the verge of giving in. It's the least I can do for Adil, right before I spill my decision.

"That Dominic guy owns Contented, right?" he shifted again, leaning back against the refurbished seat and crossing his arms, "A lot of opportunities there, Gi."

My head cocked to one side, assessing, "Not if his girlfriend's all over you."

Adil looked composed, confident even as if the idea does not faze him, "Alicia won't be able to do anything. I won't let her. I'll take it as a chance to be friends with that Dominic."