Chapter 17

The dark figure was -as Leia saw the closer she got to it- like a ghost. The pitch-black cloak around it swallowed its features, making it impossible for her to see much of its appearance. She could only perceive the bottom of its face up to its nose, skin wrinkly and sickly white. The eyes were lost in a shadow, as if the rest of the face was a hollow, blackened void.

Darth Vader had stopped in front of the figure, bowed, and then moved to stand next to it, not sparing a single glance her way. The sinister figure was facing her, and Leia could feel that its eyes were on her, studying her every movement. She felt a chill as a ghastly smile suddenly crept on the ghost's lips, revealing rotting teeth. "Come forward, child..." the voice that came out was of a man, but it sounded old and twisted.

Leia felt as if her legs were moving on her own, and before she knew it, she was standing before the Emperor and his apprentice.

"Ah finally...after all this time." The grating voice continued, "But where are my manners. Welcome young one."

Leia didn't know what to say nor to react. She felt as if she had been drained of all her remaining energy and were stuck to the ground.

The Emperor didn't push further and instead turned to his apprentice. "You have done well. My faith in you is restored, Lord Vader."

Vader slightly bowed his head, "As it should be, my Master."

Sidious turned around, ready to leave. "We will start the training tomorrow. In the meantime, why don't you settle the child in and give her a new set of clothes."

Leia stared at the Emperor, confused at his behavior. A smile was on his lips as Vader acquiesced and he left, leaving the apprentice and the child behind.

Vader turned to her, but Leia's eyes were trained on the back of the Emperor until he disappeared out of her sight. "Lieutenant." He called out, and a woman in a black uniform rushed over, standing at attention. "You heard our Emperor's orders."

"Yes, my Lord." she said, and the lieutenant turned to the girl. "Follow me." she instructed, and Leia's head snapped towards her. Feeling beaten, the girl followed the lady. She sent a glance Vader's way and noticed that his gaze was on her all the way until she disappeared behind a blast door.

The room in which Leia had been taken to was dull and dark. There were no windows and the walls were grey. There was a small, single bed in one of the corners and a table with two chairs. It looked like a prison cell more than anything, but she hadn't expected anything less from her captors. They might as well have replaced the door with bars. The girl moved towards the corner where the bed was and let herself fall onto it. She absentmindedly touched the fabric of her new clothing that they had made her change into. It was a simple looking long-sleeved black top with matching loose-fitting black pants. She already missed the softness of her dress, but her Alderaanian clothes had been taken away from her and put out of sight. There was no doubt that they threw them away. They had also given her black polished boots which were slightly too big for her feet and almost made her trip whenever she walked. Annoyed, she pushed them off and looked up at the bland grey ceiling. Leia wondered where her mother was and if she even knew what had happened to her. She wondered how her brother was doing and if he felt as lonely as she did. It had been months since she had last seen Luke. Suddenly, the young girl felt tears forming in the corner of her eyes. She brushed them off and pressed the palm of her hands into her face. A couple seconds later she heard the familiar sound of boots on the ground and a quick beep coming from the other side of the door. It slid open and Vader came in. Leia hurriedly got up to her feet, embarrassed and angry at the thought that her face was most probably red from the tears. Couldn't they have at least put a mirror in this god-forsaken place?