3

###

" Some people still try to swim when they're drowning - the trick is to simply stop struggling and breathe

" Some people still try to swim when they're drowning - the trick is to simply stop struggling and breathe. "
Chris McGeown

###

Laylah's gaze snapped to the side when she felt her father's hand slip from her own, another taking it's place. It was calloused and rough, but warm and soft at the same time. It raised her hand to a set of lips, which pressed a kiss to her knuckles before there was a ruffle of fabric; a soft breath hitting the side of her face. Lips placed a kiss to her hairline, allowing the very familiar cologne to hit her nose; causing tears to well in her eyes.

'Derek,' She whispered.

'Hey, Laylah girl,' His deep voice replied.

'Derek.'

He shushed her, 'I know, I know.'

A sob blubbered through her lips as she rolled her head to face him as he sat back down, his fingers tilting her head gently so she was facing him properly. His hand ran over her hair as the soft shushing sound soothed her, his thumb swiping back and forth over her knuckles. She'd been in the hospital for about a week now, though she wasn't entirely sure; time seemed to move differently. But, there had been no changes in her lack of sight.

'Where's- Where's my nephew?' She stammered.

'He's right here with Savannah,' Derek brushed her hair out of her face.

'Hey, Laylah,' Savannah greeted softly.

'Hi,' She whimpered.

'Would you like to hold him?'

'Please.'

There was the gentle rustle of fabric before a weight was laid on the crook of her upper arm, her body shifting to hold the sleeping child in the crook of her elbow; her nose brushing over the top of Hank's curly hair. More tears fell down her cheeks as the little boy snuggled into her side, her eyes staring straight ahead as her fingers fell to his soft locks.

'Hey, Lay, do you want something to eat?' Savannah placed a hand on her lower arm.

'Uh, yes, please,' She nodded.

'Jello?' Derek asked.

She chuckled, 'Yeh.'

'Jello, it is,' Savannah grinned, squeezing Derek's shoulder.

Hank remained at Laylah's side as footsteps clicked out of the room, leaving her in silence; besides the steady beep of the ECG. Laylah's brows furrowed when she heard a soft sniffle, her head turning to the side as far as she could; eyes moving to look in Derek's direction.

'Don't give me that look,' He chuckled as he wiped his nose.

'I can't really give you a look,' She smiled softly; 'Are you crying?'