7

###

" Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel

" Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it. "

Mark Twain

###

Laylah sat at her desk, surrounded by the team as Tara discussed what had happened with Spencer. She worked over the problem in her mind, fingers tapping her thigh as she listened to the conversation around her also. The news was shocking, but it was a weight off her shoulders. She wasn't having to prove anything to herself anymore, or search for the evidence. Spencer had given her confirmation that she was trying to come up with a story, but it also scared her because the woman who'd hurt him was still out there and probably watching her. 

'A woman?' JJ suggested. 

'Yeh, he was very clear about it,' Tara nodded; 'He remembered her hair, her painted fingernails.'

'So, she killed Nadie Ramos?' Luke asked.

'Yes. He says he saw her do it.'

'Wait. So, Laylah was right?' Penelope looked up on shock; 'Not that I was doubting you, but even I was convinced it was Scratch.'

'She saw the signs we didn't,' Rossi sighed. 

'And, what about Scratch?' 

'He says he remembers her spraying some kind of fine mist in his face,' Tara explained.

'Which is consistent with Scratch's M.O.,' Emily noted.

'Right. But, he does not recall seeing Scratch at all.' 

'You're sure this memory is accurate?' Rossi asked; 'You said he manufactured a false memory earlier in the cognitive.'

'And he's sleep deprived, which can interfere with memory,' JJ added. 

'That's true, but that false memory was directly related to the stress he's currently experiencing,' Laylah chimed; 'This was different. He wasn't projecting.'

'Look, in our opinion, this is a credible recollection,' Tara agreed.

'Ok, so that could mean that Scratch is manipulating another victim suffering from dissociative identity disorder,' JJ suggested. 

'Or he's working with a full fledged accomplice for the first time,' Walker added. 

'And he's targeting Laylah, she was the only one he hadn't gotten to yet,' Rossi noted. 

'What woman would willingly associate herself with Scratch?' Penelope asked. 

'And why would Scratch risk taking on a partner?' Luke posed the question. 

'That's what we need to find out,' Emily stated; 'We'll start by checking all of the women in the database we complied of D.I.D. patients.' 

'Wait- Wait, how was he?' Penelope shook her head.