Chapter 2

Its been days since I completed the job applications. I haven't received any response besides the usual thank you for your interest email from the website.

I moped around the apartment, ate in peace, and checked my email a couple times through out the day. I really wanted for them to contact me about the jobs I applied for.

I really did try, I guess they don't want me. I heard that there plenty of jobs at the land dump as a field recyclist. I have been working at the hospital for far too long and I want to branch out to new things and opportunities.

It pays just as well as my old hospital job. The job entails some heavy machinery but its nothing they can't train me for.  Essentially on the field you run over the garbage dump with a big machine before spraying a fine mist of special fungi and large nano bytes to break down organic and inorganic material.

That's as far as a description I have gotten so far but I think that would be a very satisfying job just because I will be able to channel some of my rage on the garbage. I would run over that shit a million times just to hear the crackle and pop of things underfoot being destroyed.

It would be asmr heaven to my ears.

I will wait a couple more weeks since I am sure there are other people jumping at the opportunity despite the backing of the Minister. I wonder what his stake in all this is really and what does the Atssk empire want besides a work force?

I hope they wont want to eat us, it isn't in the realm of impossibility since we don't know their intentions. Ahh, well you don't know if you don't try right?

So for the next two weeks I anxiously repeated my routines, again waiting.

I looked over my rental agreement in the meantime and found that I still have about two months left on it before renewing the contract. The cleanup and restoration of the apartment came out of the judgement money from my ex.

The hospital bills were tolerable, we have a universal healthcare coverage that everyone automatically pays into. My bill came out a paltry 500 dollar copay. I cried tears of joy, it was worth every penny to pay into the system.

My patience was wearing pretty thin at this point after two more weeks had gone by. I might as well start looking for another job to apply besides the land dump field recyclist. I turn on the tv, switching it to a news report.

A large fishing boat had capsized in the middle of the Pacific ocean and there were no survivors found yet. The boat carrying rescuers and reporters started elaborating the story about who  might the boat belong to, where in the area they will search and who the crew was.

A large jet of water shot high into the air suddenly before a booming whalish voice spoke.
" Leave this area its a protected water sanctuary."

" Wait! We are news reporters and rescuers, please we only want to investigate and search for any survivors!" said one man from the deck.

A large whale guardian surfaced on its side one eye upwards to stare at his new guests.  

A glistening orb with no pupil focused on the boat." Speak "

A rescuer pushed his way past the first man who had started the dialogue," what happened and why cant we find anyone from the boat?!"

The guardian blinked slowly
" Those humans have been broken down to their primary elements and dispersed to the ocean currents"

" Whaaaat, Why??!!"another man interjected.

"This boat has been disrupting the natural balance of replenishment in the ecosystem, they paid no heed against their greed and have been awarded justly."

The guardian sank back into the depths of the ocean after speaking, leaving many questions unanswered.

All of the rescuers lowered their heads in grief. The reporters stood silently.

The boat slowly turned around.

The scene was cut short to the news anchor jabbering on about other local stories.

I felt very sad and sorry for the families of these unfortunate men or women. It is the type life we live now. We are all subjugated to rigid rules without redemption or mercy sometimes.

I heard a distinctive ding from my device. I ignored it for a couple minutes before Anna spoke.  "Allie, a United workforce email has been received" I forgot that I had given Anna the task of announcing any potential emails from the agency.

Good riddance, It finally came.
" Thank you, Anna". I grab the device silently praying for good news.

I looked for the email, opened it, and began reading.

Dear Allie Alvarez,

Thank you for your interest. Application 15746 has been reviewed, and have determined that the post has been filled already.

I skimmed through the rest of the email. I was crushed I didn't get the job.

But it didn't stop there I received three other emails consecutively, my device was dinging from their arrival. I read the second email, it was another letter respectfully declining. I can only fathom that all of them are rejection letters.

With a sulky face I open each one confirming my suspicion. It wasn't until I got to the last one that I took a deep breath. Ok, Allie this is the last one....after this you can go to the store to buy yourself a sweet snack to tide over this disappointment.

It started much the same way but mid sentence it had a different tone. I read it quickly to the end. I got the job and the job I wanted too, Repair engineer training here I come!

Great, things are finally starting to look up!

Please comment, share and, like

(@Minipurse)