Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

IV

The days of May began blurring together. Too short and too long, all at once. Agitation crept into everyone in sanctuary.

Dorset disappeared one day. No one said a word about what happened to him, and his disappearance brought no distress. Some of the fortune went with him. Some of the fortune went with him and no one spoke of that matter either.

Bess and I read. It was the only escape in the sanctuary. But Bess' reading choices troubled me. Roman tragedies did not seem like a merry subject at the moment.

Cecily started emerging from the bedchamber, looking more like a ghost than my sister. Her long, dark blonde hair went undone. She scarcely spoke and often sat at the window, staring at the sky.

Bridget and Katherine became absolutely unmanageable. Everyone became accustomed to their stockinged feet thudding the floorboards as they ran around.

They were smart enough to cease their scampering when their mother appeared.

Dickon tensed every time that a messenger from Court arrived. Old enough to know Uncle Richard wanted him and his value as an heir.

After a fortnight in sanctuary, supplies diminished. The Abbot's pantry wasn't enough for a large royal family and dependants. Elizabeth refused to give many coins for the necessities of life.

"Wars are expensive, after all," Bess mumbled.

I twitched. We were meeting with a merchant who had come to sell us food. I didn't want to say anything while the merchant stood in front of us. I didn't like the look of him. Sharp eyes, weathered skin, and a knowing look.

"Never did I think I'd be doing business with princesses," Master Browne said, far too proud of his accomplishment.

"I am not a princess," I said quietly.

He raised an eyebrow. "I thought Princess Elizabeth referred to you as her sister."

"She is my natural sister, good sir," Bess said with a pleasant smile on her face.

Realization dawned on his face, and he chuckled. "I can't imagine the Queen takes kindly to her husband's bastard here. My wife would toss her out on her arse." He cleared his throat and nodded to Bess. "Begging your pardon, Your Highness."

My face burned. I had rarely heard my situation put in such a crude manner. I wanted to melt back into the shadows.

Bess didn't lose her smile, but it became sharper. "Grace is a loyal companion to my lady mother. That fish doesn't look too fresh."

He shrugged, turning back to his wares. "I suppose it's not what you're used to in the royal palaces. But any goodwife of the City would be proud to have it on her table."

Bess nodded at me. "Pay him, dearest Grace."

I carefully got out the price he named. I wasn't accustomed to handling coin myself, although I had been educated to understand household accounts.

"Wait," a clear voice called out.

Bess and I jolted. Jane Shore had slipped out of another private meeting with Elizabeth. She frowned at the coins in my hand.

"Master Browne, are you trying to swindle the family of our great King Edward?" she asked sharply. "Those fish are scarce worth half that amount of coin."

He scowled. "I am courting disfavor of the Lord Protector by even being here. It's only for the memory of the great King Edward that I risk it."

Jane narrowed her eyes. "Taking advantage of the desperate in sanctuary has ever been a despicable skill of yours. You ought to show more compassion to the family of Edward. Didn't I beseech him to help with your debts during that one winter?"