Chapter Three: Odessa Returns

I opened the front door to my house with ease, surprised that the lights were all on and the front door was unlocked. There were murmured voices coming from the kitchen, so I decided to walk towards the voices. "Hello?" I called. "Mom? Steph?" I noticed the decorations still in place as I made my way to the kitchen.

"Odessa Ryan, you gave us all a heart attack!" My mother shouted as she wrapped herself tightly around my body. I cried out in pain as she squeezed my bad shoulder. "And you're hurt! Where on earth have you been, young lady?! We've been searching for over an hour!" She exclaimed, smacking me on the back of the head, then hugging me softer. I shook my head.

"Mom, Joy was supposed to tell you all. I needed some air. She said that she would cover for me. I'm sorry. I got hurt when I fell. Got spooked by a cat. I used some cloth I found outside our house to wrap up because I wasn't ready to come back. Sorry, Mom." I said, walking to the seats in the kitchen before sitting down. Violet, Stephanie, and Zara stood in the kitchen eating cake.

"Odessa, thank god! You scared us bad, girl!" Violet said, as Stephanie wrapped herself tightly around my waist. I smiled and studied the relieved faces of the women around me. I was stunned by how much I liked being missed.

"I'm fine, guys. I just needed some air. Didn't Joy come back in to tell you?" I asked. The girls glanced at each other with confusion visible on their faces.

"Joy?" Zara asked, her voice hoarse. I nodded.

"Yes, Joy and I hung out tonight in the kitchen, and we talked before she told me to go get some air, so I did. The party was a bit overwhelming for an introvert like myself," I said. Zara gave me a sympathetic smile before sliding a piece of cake across the table towards me.

"Eat." She said. I gratefully took the plastic fork from her and took a bite of the cake, sweetness filling my mouth. Before I could stop myself, I practically inhaled the entire slice. Zara stood in front of me gawking, mouth open and everything.

My mother walked in, noticed the empty plate in front of me, then softly smiled. "I'll make a pizza for you girls. Zara, thank you for your help earlier. Would you like to stay the night tonight as well?" She asked. Zara shook her head.

"No ma'am, I appreciate the offer, and I'd love to spend more time with Odessa, but I should get going. My mother will be worried if I'm out past three. I'll see you in class, Odessa." She beamed, then glanced at Violet. "You too, V." She waved her fingers at us then walked to the front door and left. I listened as the door shut and her car started. No one had spoken since she left. Violet was standing in the kitchen, my mom was placing a pizza in the oven, and Steph was sitting next to me with worry on her face.

I stood up. Violet's eyes were on me. "Violet, I'm going to my room. Would you like to join me?" I asked. She nodded. Stephanie gently tugged my hand. I knew she was asking to come too. I shook my head and she nodded before squeezing my hand. I squeezed back before leading Violet to my room.

As we entered my room, a chill shivered down my spine. Violet walked ahead of me, sitting on the end of my bed and pawing through a bag of her things that sat on the floor next to the bed. I stopped at my closet and grabbed an oversized shirt and a pair of gray leggings before walking into my bathroom. I glanced at Violet. "Give me like, two minutes tops, okay?" I said, smiling softly. She nodded, toying with her phone. I shut the bathroom door and took a deep breath.

My mind was reeling. I turned the water on at the sink, splashed my face with cool water before squirting soap into my left hand and rubbing it onto my face. I fumbled for a towel before drying my face off and changing clothes. I glanced into the mirror. My once-smooth hair was tangled and matted, I looked like I'd gotten into a fight, and my shoulder looked rough with the wrapping. I decided to leave it alone. Sighing, I opened the door and headed back to Violet.