Day 7 - Resolutions

Marinette was humming a song that she couldn't remember the name to as she tried to keep her eyes open, scrubbing the pan repeatedly. She knew that Adrien had been singing along loudly to it, but what were the words again?

"Just leave it to soak, okay?" she heard Adrien say, and she blinked quickly, glancing back at him. He pressed a swift kiss to her cheek, making her smile tiredly. Reaching past her, he placed the stopper in the drain to begin to fill up the sink.

"Okay," she agreed, setting the pan in the sink and drying her hands.

"I'm gonna take the trash out," he said softly behind her, and she let out a hum in response, shutting off the faucet. She heard the back door open and then close, a cold breeze blowing across the floor until it reached her feet. She winced, shivering and looking up to watch Adrien come back inside and do the same.

"Ready to get into bed?" she asked quietly, and he nodded fervently, making her giggle.

They both got ready for bed, changing into some warm pajamas and crawling into bed next to each other. Marinette sighed out, the warmth and coziness of the bed feeling like heaven compared to how the rest of the day felt. The holidays were her favorite time of the year, but there was always so much going on.

Adrien reached out and grabbed her hand, pressing a kiss to it and making her smile.

"Can you believe it's almost the new year?" he asked quietly, the warmth of his breath reaching her and making her smile.

"Oh yeah," she sighed out happily, chuckling and scooting closer to her husband. "I wanna get back into our workout routine," she told him, feeling his tight hold on her hand loosen a little.

"Yeah right," he scoffed, and she gaped at him even though the lights were off and comfortable darkness surrounded them.

"What? You don't think we can?" she asked, gripping his hand. He laughed a little, rubbing his thumb across the back of her hand slowly.

"Absolutely not. We're so busy," he answered, and she pursed her lips, wishing she could show him the unimpressed look on her face.

"You're such a downer," she sighed playfully, hearing him whine at her tone.

"I'm just being realistic!" he said, making her eyes roll.

"Meanie," she pouted, squeaking a little when he let go of her hand and pulled her body closer, burying her in a warm, heavy hug. She laughed into his chest, enjoying the fact that he was always so warm and willing to cuddle up to her.

"I'm sorry, honey," he said softly, nuzzling into her neck and blowing against her skin to make her laugh more. It worked, her giggles becoming muffled against his shirt.

When he let her breathe and a gentle silence fell between them, she made herself more comfortable, running her hands through his hair like he always asked her to before they fell asleep.

"So what are your resolutions?" she asked seriously, hearing him hum and tap his fingers lightly on her spine.

"I want to have the best hair in the whole country," he declared, making her hold in her loud laughter. He scoffed, tickling her once as payback. She giggled, pushing his hands away.

"Be serious, Mr. Realistic," she teased, feeling like she could hear him roll his eyes if she really listened.

"Is good hair not realistic for me?" he asked, feigning offense and making her smile.

"Since you already have the best hair in the world, I wanna know what your actual resolutions are," she replied, feeling him squeeze her tighter and press a big kiss to her cheek. She grinned, pressing a kiss to his cheek in return.

"Let me think," he said softly, his voice becoming more serious. She began running her hands through his hair again, feeling the exhaustion coming to weigh down her eyelids once more.

"I want to be a better father," he spoke suddenly, and she furrowed her eyebrows, her hands freezing in his hair. But before she could protest against him, a small voice rang out from the direction of the door.

"Daddy?" Emma called, and Marinette pushed herself out of her husband's embrace, pulling the covers off of herself.

"What are you doing out of bed, sweetpea?" she asked, turning on the lamp on her bedside table and illuminating the room. Emma rubbed her eyes, holding her stuffed rabbit in one arm as it dragged along the floor.

"I can't sleep," she explained as Marinette slipped out of bed and picked their daughter up. "Why does Daddy think he's bad?" she wondered innocently as Marinette set her on the bed next to Adrien. Marinette looked to him, raising her eyebrows.

"I was wondering the same thing," she said, giving him a smirk. Adrien pulled Emma closer, kissing her cheek and smiling brightly.

"I want to be a better Daddy for my little Emma Bear," he grinned, the two parents watching that comment make their daughter pout.

"But you're already the best Daddy ever!" she protested, launching herself into Adrien's arms for a hug. Adrien let out a surprised shout, holding the little one tight and chuckling a little. Marinette reached forward and rubbed the girl's back, smiling at her sweetness.

When she glanced back at her husband, tears had gathered in his eyes, and he laughed, wiping them away quickly.

"Thank you, darling." 

_____

thank you all so much for reading! this event was wonderful to write for, and i hope you enjoyed! 

stay safe! 

mel xx