In The Company Of Dwarves

After Bilbo had recovered from his fainting, he sat on a chair with a mug in his hands. He stared at the fire, which Y/n added more wood to so it kept burning.

"I’ll be alright. Just let me sit quietly for a moment," Bilbo said. He'd said that a few times already, and Gandalf had had enough.

"You’ve been sitting quietly for far too long. Tell me, when did doilies and your mother’s dishes become so important to you? I remember a young hobbit who was always running off in search of Elves, in the woods. He’d stay out late, come home, after dark, trailing mud and twigs and fireflies. A young hobbit who would’ve liked nothing better than to find out what was beyond the borders of the Shire. The world is not in your books and maps. It’s out there," Gandalf said, pointing to the window. Bilbo glanced over, seeing the moonlight stream through the glass.

"I can’t just go running off into the blue! I am a Baggins, of Bag End!" Bilbo defended. Y/n rolled her eyes.

Gandalf sparked an idea as Y/n stood, her arms crossed over her chest once again, near the fireplace. "You are also a Took. Did you know that your great, great, great, great uncle Bullroarer Took, was so large he could ride a real horse?"

Bilbo nodded.

"Yes, well he could! In the battle of Greenfields, he charged the goblin ranks he swung his club so hard, it knocked the goblin king’s head clean off, and it sailed a hundred yards through the air, and went down a rabbit hole. And thus the battle as won, and the game of golf invented at the same time." Y/n chuckled at this, neither of them looking towards her.

"I do believe you made that up."

Gandalf sighed, "Well, all good stories deserve embellishment. You’ll have a tale or two to tell of your own when you come back."

"Can you promise that I will come back?"

"No," Gandalf paused. "And if you do, you’ll not be the same."

Bilbo clicked his tongue, saying, "That’s what I thought." He stood up, placing the contract on the table. "Sorry, Gandalf, I can’t sign this. You’ve got the wrong hobbit."

"Oh screw it Bilbo Baggins!" Y/n exclaimed. Bilbo froze, looking towards her. "Screw Bag End! Screw staying at home all your life! My parents don't care what I do, because they trust me, but I have been to some of the most amazing things because I decided to leave home! If I hadn't, I would be just as scared to go with them as well... Just take a chance! You might like what you find when you are done." She left the room, going to where the other dwarves were, huffing as she leaned against the wall. They said nothing to her, just let her stay there.

The dwarves had their pipes in hand, occasionally exhaling puffs of smoke into the air. Thorin was beside the fireplace, his eyes fixed on the fire, reminiscing in memories he wanted to forget. The dwarves began humming deep notes, causing Y/n to perk up.

"Far over the Misty Mountains cold.

To dungeons deep and caverns old.

We must away ere break of day.

To find our long forgotten gold."

Bilbo sat on a bed in a room across the hall, listening to the song being sung. Y/n straightened up, remembering the echo of their voices as she blacked out earlier in this world.

"The pines were roaring on the height,

the winds were moaning in the night.

The fire was red, it flaming spread.

The trees like torches blazed with light."

The last notes were hummed, before they stopped, leaving a silence upon the room. Y/n slightly glanced down at the ground, and the dwarves began to file out of the room. Y/n went to leave as well, but she saw Kili in front of her, worry in his eyes.