Chapter 2

An apprentice to a Grim Reaper? I guess they're called Phanters, but whatever. 

"Why was I chosen to be you so called apprentice?"

"Let's see," Talan pulls out a tablet, "You killed yourself for 'experimental purposes' whatever that means, and made the scene somewhat gruesome. You wish too witness what happens when you die, and come back to life to complete your research. In order to come back to life you have to either work as an apprentice for about half a year, or find a way to somehow become a fully fledged Phanter within the first week. I you do somehow become a Phanter in the first week, then you'll have t reap a certain amount of souls in order to come back to life."

"Bro, that sounds awesome! So what happens if I change my mind and don't want to come back to life anymore?"

The tablet vanishes from his hands, "If you complete your year of apprenticeship and end up changing your mind, then you will continue to work as a Phanter. If you change your mind after becoming a Phanter, then you can choose to go join the other souls, and go straight to the Underworld, or continue to work as a Phanter. You will get paid with modern day money, and can let mortals see you after you finish work for the day. This is not mandatory, and you can go to the Underworld now if you would like."

"I'm definitely going to be an apprentice!"

"Okay, we will have to get you to change your appearance so mortals don't recognize you when you let them see you. Come with me."

His voice sounds cool. This whole thing sounds cool. I follow him through the hallways of my house, which are gradually changing to look like an old haunted mansion. There are torches lining the wall that light u as we pass, and a lot of paintings on the walls. Some of the paintings are blurred out.

"What's wrong with those paintings?" I ask very curious.

"The blurred out ones are of the living. The clear ones are of the deceased. There are some that only have the eyes blurred out, which are the dying, or the ones that weren't reaped within the time limit and are now wandering spirits," Talan replies, he seems very chill.

After about ten minutes of walking we come to a fancy looking door. Talan knocks in a pattern, which I assume is the password. It opens up to a room much like a dressing room.

"You can choose a different hairstyle, but have to choose a different hair colour. You must choose two different eye colours, one must be natural, the other has to be unnatural. "You can choose different clothing and accessories, though that is not mandatory. ring that bell when you are done, It will signal me and I will come back." with that, he left the room.

I look at the variety of clothes and accessories lining the walls. I can choose out of those later, right now, I'll focus on my hair and face. I quite like my messy hairstyle, so I'll keep it. My hair isn't dyed, but I know what colour I want. I look around the room and see a desk with a signs that says 'Hair.' I walk over to it and sit down in the chair. There's a tablet in the desk that has a variety of hairstyles and a category for hair colours. I go the the colours and choose the one I want. A mirror pops out of nowhere and I see my hair. Blood red suits me. I have the choice to choose a different colour or keep this one. I obviously choose to keep it, although I wish this existed in the living world. Pressing a button to change you hair is so mush simpler.

Next is my face. I see another desk beside me for exactly that reason. The main difference is that it doesn't have a chair, so I roll over on the office chair that I'm on and stop at the desk. There is another tablet in the desk. I have to admit, this place is somewhat confusing, even if it's amazing. This tablet has 3 categories, left eye, right eye, and teeth. That's not much. there should be more choices. I choose to keep my natural eye colour. Green is a rare enough colour for eyes s there's no point in changing it to brown or blue. For my right eye I choose a dull red. It looks good so far. The only things in the teeth category are fangs or no fangs. I choose to have fangs because they look badass. 

I might as well change my clothes, seeing as they didn't magically clean themselves. I choose a black turtleneck and black ripped jeans. My shoes didn't get any blood on them, so I keep them. I walk over to the full body mirror and look at myself. I'm wearing all black and look very emo. Mission nearly accomplished. I have my ears pierced, but I've always wanted snake bites, so I get those in the accessories section.

My look is complete. I ring the bell and Talon is in front of me. That was faster than expected. 

"Did you leave a review?"

A review? I was supposed to?

"I didn't."

"Then do it! Mixie will get angry if you don't. Go to the tablet by the door."

I walk over to the door and see the tablet. My guess is Mixie is the one in charge of this room. 

Very efficient, but the hair and face stations shouldn't be separate. They should be at the same desk and the face station should have a makeup category instead of only 3 categories.

"There, done. What's next?"

"Your room and tour. I also have to teach you how to reap souls and how to do basic Phanter magic. The skills you learn will be making yourself visible and invisible to mortals and teleportation."

"Sweet!"

I can already tell that I'm going to have fun here.

1013 words