Chapter 10 - A Dance To Remember

Riley's POV

Tom and I went back to where I dropped the basket. We walked a little bit further in a slow pace talking about random things.

It almost felt natural.

And it felt rather nice..

It didn't really cross my mind that we were capable of talking without killing each other. We got on like two normal civilised people.

I wasn't complaining though. He wasn't actually too bad. There was definitely more to him.

One thing I was certain of, he was good with people. He might come across a little quiet but unbeknownst to him, he had ways with people. He was very charismatic in his own mysterious way.

He was something.

I hadn't seen him smile and laugh so much until today. I also didn't expect him to open up a little bit about his life to me.

"You know when I was little, I always dreamt of being a doctor." Tom chuckled.

"Really?" I looked at him a little surprised. "That's quite a big jump, from a doctor to a rugby player." I couldn't imagine him being a doctor. He'd look hot with a stethoscope draping around his neck, but I guess it wouldn't be Tom if that was the case. "What happened?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Well..my parents are both doctors. My dad worked as a medic in the armed forces when I was a little boy, so he was never around. My mum worked in St Thomas in London and didn't cope well raising me and my older sister on her own as she was doing a lot of on calls. So they decided to send us to a boarding school when I was seven."

I couldn't imagine how it was like growing up not having my parents. I'd be lost without them. Somehow my heart swell at the thought of a seven year old Tom on his own.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I still have a close relationship with them. I was quite matured at a young age. Plus, I had my sister too. I also had a great life in the boarding school. I don't have anything against my mum and dad. I actually learned a lot from different people, which was great."

"Good for you. I don't think some kids would be as open minded as you." It made me realise that Tom's naturally not a bad person. He was just being cautious. That he wasn't deliberately shielding himself from new acquaintances, but it was just how he was naturally.

"I guess. But me personally, when I have my own family in the future, I would like to be with them all the time and see my kids grow up." He put his hand in his pockets. "My parents are both working as GPs now. They're great grandparents to Lilo, my sister's daughter."

I looked at him. It was the first time that I ever saw him fully as a person. My heart was so full looking at him.

Somehow, I felt a pang of jealousy to whoever he was going to have a family with. They were very lucky to have someone who was family orientated as Tom and saw the importance of family time.

He caught me looking.

My cheeks turned red. "Uhm, maybe we should head back." I turned around.

I didn't know why my chest was pounding.

He nodded but looked like he had no intention of rushing to go back. His steps remained in a slow pace.

I didn't expect that he would open up to me. In fact, he wasn't I expected at all.

"What about you, Riley? How were you as a growing up?" His voice was dark and curious.

I looked back and he had a look on his eyes I couldn't probed.