Chapter 25 - Netflix And Chill

Riley's POV

After dinner, I took my clothes out from the washing machine and put them straight into the tumble dryer.

I still felt embarrassed about myself for showing a little weakness, for God knows how many times.

I really needed to get a Neurosurgeon,
to check the activities of my brain. Their functions didn't seem to be in full capacity.

He's not just James's cousin but he's got a girlfriend too. Although it's not clear to me what his status is, but still, he didn't deny it when my Nan asked him on Christmas Eve.

What the hell happened to my morale and values I've been trying to uphold?

It wasn't just the attraction that was so hard to resist, but it was also about how he made me feel about myself too.

He makes me nervous, but he calms me down. He winds me up yet he's comforting. And most of all, he looks at me as if I am extra special, that I mattered.

"Riley, I'm happy for you to stay for the night."

I turned to him.

He was leaning against the door frame with his hands inside his pockets.

"That's nice of you Tom, but really I'm okay." I smiled at him.

There's no way in a thousand years that I'll be staying over his house all night. Not after we had a moment in his kitchen! I shouldn't even be here in the first place.

It just ticked all the wrong boxes.

I get that he's being a good samaritan and all, but still.

"Do you want me to tell James you're here whilst waiting for that?" He referred to my clothes.

I furrowed my eyebrows. I wanted to say that we were not back together and he didn't have to know my whereabouts, but I kept my thoughts to myself.

Obviously his loyalty will always be to his cousin.

I shook my head. "Actually, can I use your phone? My phone is dead. I'll let my mum know where I am."

"Yeah, sure." He led me back to the living room and showed me where the phone was before he went upstairs.

I rang my parents' house but nobody answered the phone. So I rang Biddy instead.

"Hi Bids, it's just me." I said when I heard her voice on the line.

"Riley! Thank God. Are you okay? I've been trying to get hold of you!"

"What's the matter? Is Ryan okay?" I had that sinking feeling at the pit of my stomach again.

"Ryan is stable, don't worry. I am more worried about where you went! I told you to wait for me outside 'cause I was gonna take you home. I understand you were upset but it wasn't nice to just go off without letting me know where you're going, Riley. I got worried."

I sighed. "I'm sorry, but my head was a mess earlier and I needed some fresh air." I apologised to her.

"Fresh air in this horrible frosty weather?" She asked. "But I know what you mean. I'm just glad you're okay and got home safe."

I cleared my throat. "About that, I know it's very inconvenient around this time, but would you be able to pick me up?" I wasn't sure how to drop the bomb of telling her that I was at Tom's. It was still hard for her to process when I told her what happened on Christmas Eve.

"Oh. I thought you're home? Where are you?"

I checked where Tom was but when I didn't see him, I covered the mouthpiece and whispered. "I'm at Tom's."