Chapter 2

I remember when my brother, dad, mom, and I would all hang out in the front yard a run through the sprinklers. We didn't want a pool because Biscuit the cat would drown herself if we did get a pool. Adrian would strip into his boxers and I would wear a skirt and tank top and we would play all sorts of games that contained water. I remember one day when we were out playing a game of waterfall, a game we had made up, two men in black coats asked if our parents allowed us to go to the water park. Adrian grabbed the water hose and sprayed them with water and told them to leave us alone. We both started laughing when they left. I wished that I was still a kid again, when the family wasn't as broken as it was now.

I woke up covered in sweat. Having flashbacks of when I was a kid still startled me. I looked at the clock. It read one fifteen. I tried going back to sleep but that wasn't going to happen. So I got up and went to the kitchen. I looked through the cupboards and found nothing. Dad hasn't gone to the store since we've been here I assume. I got a piece of paper, pen and then I started writing stuff down and calculating how much it should cost if stuff isn't on layaway. By the time I was done, the clock read five twenty-one. Dad would be getting up in four minutes, and he would get me up, and at six o'clock, we would be heading to drop me at school, and then he would drive to work. And then at about seven o'five the bell would ring and I would head off to first period.

I went to Mr. Rodriguez's class and sat where I always sat now, in the middle of the two girls. Last week I had gotten beaten down by them twice. Once I thought that they broke my ribs, arm, and my face. Today we were learning on how to put two words together to make a contraction. I defined the word to Mr. Rodriguez and got five extra bonus points. Most of the kids called me "Chip". Why they call me that, I have no clue. After class I knew what was coming, Mr. Rodriguez will walk out, and then the girls will pounce. But today, all they did was get up and walk out of the classroom. That's unusual, but hey, I'm not getting the crap beat out of me so i'm fine. I haven't really made in friends yet, but I still talk to some people, but what's weird is, this is filled with mostly, Mexicans, Puerto Rican, or Spanish. So, I kind of stick out, no wonder why nobody likes me. My mom was Caucasian and my dad was African American And Puerto Rican. So, being a light skin wasn't the best thing in the book. But whatever. I don't really care. I'm not here for friends, I'm here to learn.

I was walking to Dance 101 when I saw a poster on the wall. "Do you love to dance? Are you ready to put forth your talent? If so, the school will be holding a dance competition on February seventh in the gym. See you there!"Dance was the only class I had a "F" in. But then I thought, it was only December 14.I didn't do anything in that class. I just sat there, dancing would hurt me too much, emotionally. Whenever report cards would come out or progress reports, I just tore them up and threw them away. I wanted to dance, but I know I couldn't.

"Camille. I think you should move before you get in trouble for being late." I turned around. "Who the hell are you and what the fuck do you want?" My mouth hadn't gotten any cleaner either since I've been here. "Wow, that's one way to ask me who I am." I glared at him. "The name's Jesse." He extended a hand. I shook it. I couldn't stop staring at him. He was more beautiful than Cody Brock. And he was hot. "Why don't you dance in class?" He asked me as we started walking towards the 100 hall. "I don't dance." He looked at me. I looked at him. " Trauma?" I didn't answer that one. I just started ahead and didn't stop. We both walked to the classroom and the teacher automatically glared at us. "Agradable de ti para finalmente unirse a nosotros Camille y Jesse." Most of the kids stopped dancing and then started making kissing noises and coo-ing. I stared at Jesse and then stalked away. Today we were doing a test on how to keep step with your partner. Of course I knew how to do that, I just didn't feel like dancing. So, in result, I got a cero de cincuenta. I didn't really care.

Jesse came up to me after the day had ended. "Hola Camille, voy a ir al club de baile esta noche, ¿quietest venir?" Now he wants to speak to me in Spanish. I guess it's just another reason to find him as flawless. I told him no, gracias, and walked home. I didn't even put two steps into the house and Dad already started yelling at me. "¡Camille, times una 'F' en el baile y quiero saber por qué!" Oh, man. The school must have called dad and warned him about being seen with Jesse. I could honestly kill him right now. I looked my dad in the eye. "Yes, I have a 'F' in Dance; but, that is only because the teacher, Mrs. Gomez, decides to count everything against me, no matter what it is. Papá lo siento." My dad looked at me. And then, in a calmer voice he asked, " So, that boy you walked in with. Who is he and what does he want with you?" I tried so hard to not turn red. But since he asked, I gave him the quickest possible answer. "Bueno, él es agradable, tranquilo y supongo que es guapo." My dad just looked at me. I don't know if I was turning red or not, but, I hope he doesn't assume we're dating or anything.