Chapter 3

That night Jesse came and picked me up in a rusted blue pick up truck. I told Dad that I would be back before he even knew I was gone. He said he was going to the bar, so he probably wouldn't even remember I left. We went and picked up some other kids I've seen around campus and they all called him Jay and then he introduced me. But everybody kept calling me Chip. "¿Por qué la gente me llama Chip? ¿Hay que hice mal?" A boy Jesse called Sand, said, "No, we call you that because you told off Kamryn and Leslie." Those must be the girls I told off the first day. I looked at Sand and he winked at me. What the hell? He isn't my type, and plus, I have Jesse. We all walked in and all the boys went for the bar. We weren't allowed to drink, we were all underage. The oldest being Jesse by a week. "Come on Chip. You need a drink." Jesse grabbed my hand and we walked over to the bar. "Can you get two Sprites please." I looked at Jesse confused. "You really think we were going to break the law and drink? We aren't that bad of kids. And plus, this club is only for people twenty-one and younger. It's a place where we show off our dance moves. And get stomach aches from drinking to much soda and eating Sand's grandma's cookies." I started to laugh. "So your not the really bad kid my dad claimed you as? Or yourself then?" His face went dark, and if to avoid the question. He took my hand and we went to the dance floor. Jesse had showed me a couple of moves that were used on the dance floor. He said that most of the music wasn't good music either.

"DO THEY PLAY COUNTRY MUSIC HERE?!" Jesse looked at me and laughed. We in the middle of the dance floor and I was just standing there watching everybody dance. He was in the middle of a dance competition between him and Sand. When I said that the DJ stopped the music. "We have a country-bumpkin up in here?" Jesse smiled and walked over to me. "Aye, don't worry Spongebob, she's with me." Everybody started laughing. The DJ got down from his stand and walked over to Jesse. Jesse, I guess he thought he was being protective, had stepped in front of me. "What did you say... square boy?" I've heard that name somewhere. "I said, unicorn, she's with me. Lay off. If she want country, we can dance to some good country, like George Strait, or some Merle Haggard. Right guys? We can dance to the stuff. Right?" Everybody nodded their heads. "You're lucky square. You better thank whoever you got to thank that you're not on the floor right now." Jesse smiled at him. "Oh, I am on the floor, I'm down on my knees, but only because of my girl." The DJ looked back at me. " You make him plead?" I decided to not be a good kid and say something stupid. "Oh no, he chooses to plead, and I think it makes him, unlike you, very manly." I glared at him. Everybody around us oohed. All the DJ did was turn around and go back up to his podium. Jesse looked at me when a song from Merle Haggard came on. "Now, show me what you got."I looked at him. And then when my favorite part came on, I broke out into a line dance. Then, a few minutes later we were all laughing and everybody was tumbling and falling over because nobody could keep up with my steps. When the music stopped. The DJ started up a new song by this guy named "Xxxtentacion" The song was "Sad". It actually sounded pretty good. I went and sat down at the bar, and then this elderly woman came out. I thought she was probably Sand's grandma. "Hi, you must be Sand's grandma?" I looked her in the eye and she smiled. "And you must be the young woman Jay, Sand, and about most of the other young men speak of. Are you Chip?" I smiled. " Yes ma'am. I am." She stuck out her hand and I shook it. "Seems like you got Jesse wrapped around your finger?" I found out that her name was Mariana. But I called her Mrs. Cruz. She kept asking for me to call her Mariana, but I just couldn't make myself do that. "Not so much, it's more like I'm wrapped around his finger." She laughed. A few minutes later Jesse came up and hugged me from behind, I've gotten used to him doing that, but, I still felt a little uncomfortable if we were by ourselves and he was with me. I have never felt safe with any guy. Especially my first boyfriend. Which I had in the seventh grade. "Hola Senorita Cruz. I see that you've met my wonderful girlfriend Camille?" She laughed that old grandma laugh that I missed.

Sand came walking up behind Jesse and put his hand on his shoulder. "Hola Senorita Cruz. ¿Comó estàs?" His grandma just looked at him and then said that she would have to talk to me later. I'm guessing that Sand and her didn't have a very good relationship. He looked at her as she was walking away with a disappointed look on his face. I wonder was has gone on between her and Sand.

On the way home, Jesse said I could sit in the back of the truck with him. With Sand driving, a couple of other people in his truck, and us in the cab of it. The truck ride was loud and peaceful at the same time. "What time does your dad want you home?" I look at Jesse, I forget about his question, and I start looking at his face, every feature, every little detail. Then I look in his eyes, they look sad, pleading for something, I don't know. "Whatever time you want me to go home." Then I scoot over to him and lay my head down on his shoulder. "You know, I've never felt this with anyone." I look at him. "I never thought that I could feel this way Jesse. I don't know what we have, but I feel so..." He looks at me. "WE feel so complete. Camille, everything we've done with each other, the ups and downs, has made us stronger, but there is something I have to tell you, and you might not like it." My heart dropped. "I understand Jesse, I don't know what I was thinking. I..." He put his finger over my lips, "Camille, shush, you ramble when you get nervous, just let me do the talking okay?" I nodded. " I met your dad at the convenience store a few days after he said, well, what he said. And I asked him some questions. And he gave me answers. Now it's time to get one answer from you." I looked at him. He spoke to my dad! What the hell!? "And I see that look on your face, but I wanted to ask you two questions, and both should have the same answer. Well, here I go, are you the girl who spent the  week in the hospital after the incident with your brother and my dad? And, will you officially be my girlfriend?"  I looked at him, he had stars in his eyes, the kind that are seen in movies and all the girls fall for it. I didn't know what to say to him. I just looked at him. "Do you need reassurance?" I stared at him, and then I nodded my head. He looked at me and ran his hand down my leg. And went to kiss me. "Aye! Love birds, instead of getting it on in the backseat, why don't you guys get out, your girl is home Jesse, walk her to the door, kiss her goodnight, and come on, I got business to do." I blushed so red at Jesse, and then said something to Sand, "Aye, Sand, are you jealous that Jesse can touch me and you can't?" Sand's ears automatically got red. I looked at him smirked and hopped out of the truck. Like I always got stared at or crushed on, which is a total lie. I'm not really "girlfriend" material. I've never really been, I never got stared at, I always got labeled as that one girl. You know the girl that spent the week in the hospital. So being in love, with like, the cutest boy in school, is amazing.