021

PAIGE

The morning following my night with the Wolf was easy. Time seemed to move blissfully slow for once. I opened my eyes without fanfare or revelation and just laid still for a while. My body was sore, in a good way, but I felt alive in my mind. It was interesting to wake up in an empty bed but know that the person who had shared it with you was definitely coming back.

I sat up finally and glanced out the window. The snow was piled high, but the clouds had yet to release another wave. It looked cold and dead and bleak outside, something about it especially unnerved me that morning.

After a shower, I went into the kitchen for breakfast. His note was a simple idea of a plan for his day and a reminder that he would see me later. I reheated the coffee and made up some oatmeal before grabbing the phone and dialing Rhia.

She picked up on the second ring, "Good morning."

"Hi, Rhia."

"Paige! Are you coming over today?"

"I was hoping to," I got up and put my bowl in the sink to rinse. "Are you busy today?"

"Yes, but I could actually use your help with the load. Berenger is out running perimeters today so I could use an extra pair of hands." Her voice was honey sweet, inviting. She had a special talent for making others feel welcome and wanted.

"Sounds good, I'll be over soon." I realized I was smiling a little. 

"Paige?"

"Yeah?"

"You sound like a different female. Happy, I think." Rhia's soft tone nearly brought my eyes to water. I was hearing that a lot.

"Thanks," I responded softly. She was sort of right. I wasn't quite happy, but somewhere near it. Whatever happiness actually was.

"See you soon," she hung up after and I set the phone back on the charger.

Taking a deep breath, I stared out the window thinking about happiness and mothers and having sex with a mate. The way that things evolve was slowly making sense to me. All change takes time, and I had that. Or so I thought.

After I washed out my dishes and placed them back into their rightful spots, I gathered my furs and set out.

A good minute into the walk and the hairs pricked on the back of my neck. The feeling of being watched washed down my spine in a cold shiver. My mind flashed back to the day of the bear attack and involuntarily, I froze. Slowly, I turned to look over my shoulder when a force collided into me from behind and knocked me into the snow. The sensation was also one I hadn't felt since the bear attack. I couldn't scream because my breath was knocked out of me. I couldn't scream because I was being eaten alive by a bear. My face was in the snow and I was gasping, trying to turn myself over, panic setting in. 

I could hear my heartbeat in my ears, thundering, loud.

Hands grabbed me by the coat and flipped me onto my back in the snow bank. A hand locked around my throat. I met his eyes and my heart stopped.

I couldn't remember the last time I had seen him. Was it in the mud room at my father's house? In the woods? His lips were moving but it took me a few moments before I could make out what he was saying.

"--you fucking traitor. How could you do this? You've gone soft haven't you?" Tye's grip on my throat tightened. Frantically, I pulled at his hands to get them off. My throat was on fire, only allowing little gasps of air into my lungs. "Your father always knew you were weak, that's why he never wanted to leave you with this damn pack."