Chapter 27 - The Departure

Chris

As I pulled up to their driveway, I saw a huddled mass on the front steps of their house. I got out of my car and walked to the steps and looked down. All six of them were huddled together asleep. Lauren was pressed against the wall next to Dani. I gently lifted her head and kissed her slowly. I felt her kissing me back before she fully woke up, and then I felt her hands pushing me away.

“Oh it’s you.” She said, a sad smile on her face.

“Yeah, and so what’s with the campout on the front steps?”

“What’s going on?” Dani groaned as she woke up.

“Chris is here,” Lauren said softly.

“Oh,” She said.

“Should I wake the rest up?”

“Yeah, they wanted to say bye to you.” She said.

“Ok.” I said, walking over to the end of the group and grabbing Lisa by the shoulders before shaking her. She jumped awake with a small scream, which woke up Amy. Lauren gently shook Katherine awake and I poked Christina in the head.

“So what are you all doing out here?”

“We wanted to go with you to say goodbye.” Christina answered.

“Umm.. my car can only fit like four of you at the most.” I said uncomfortably.

“You can ride in the trunk.” She replied.

“Yea no.” I said.

“Relax, we’re going in the van. You can leave your car here, one of us will drop it off at your house later.”

“Alright, well we need to get going now. So go get the keys and let’s go.” I said.

“Ok,” She said, walking back inside.

“You ready?” I asked Lauren.

“No.” She said, leaning against my chest, I wrapped my arms around her. A minute later Christina came back out with the keys.

“You’re driving.” She said, tossing me the keys.

“Yes ma’am.” I said, walking towards the van. I climbed in the drivers seat and Lauren sat besides me.

Lauren

We had been driving in silence for a while before Chris asked me a question.

“What time is it?”

“It’s uh 3:35,” I replied.

“Perfect, we have some time.” Chris said before pulling off to a small grass clearing on the side of the road. “Come on,” He said, motioning for me to follow.

“What are we doing?” Amy asked as they climbed out of the van.

“Lauren here has a decision to make.” Chris said, looking at me.

“What is it?” I asked him.

“Lauren, you said before that you don’t want me to go, but you’re letting me go anyway. You told me to go. One word from you and I’d stay.”

“Isn’t it a little too late for that?” I asked him.

“Yes and no.” He answered.

“What do you mean?” I asked him, confused.

“If a soldier is injured in a way that requires him to be hospitalized before his tour begins, he will remain stateside until he makes a full recovery.” He stated. “Now, because of the special conditions of why I’m leaving in the first place, if I don’t go now, they will find someone else to take my place.”