Lycoris radiata

Sort of a vent art about this whole covid-19 thing and how much it takes a toll on my mental health

The plague doctor mask clearly tells about the times we are currently facing together, although it is made to be a little more ornamental. The flowers on the background are red spider lilies, also known as hell flowers (the title of the artwork is also the scientific name of these flowers). In Asia, they represent death, as they are usually used to convey goodbyes and the afterlife. These flowers can represent the people that have died during these times, and on a personal level to me, represents the goodbye I say to my mental health that has been improving.

The pose of the girl is one of a self soothing gesture, showing how she is bothered by everything that is going on.

- warning: 4 paragraphs of venting under these 3 dots below. If you do not want to read, please skip ahead, no biggie uwu -

•••

Staying home is never a problem for me. I am an introvert and I LOVE staying home, and being in the company of myself in general. However, since the virus keeps getting worse, everyone was told to stay home, including my mum.

I was fine with it at first, keeping myself busy with internship which I also did from home. I had to submit a daily progress report to the company, so I pretty much had a lot of work to do in a day. Mum, however, was bored. She did not get as much work from her company so she assumed I was also like her, free of work, even after I told her I needed to complete a project as quickly as possible. She brushed it off and ended up baking cakes, insisting I help and guilt tripping me into helping her.

Under normal circumstances, I would gladly jump in to help, but not during my internship. Just because I work from home, does not mean my workload decrease. And just because I work with illustrations, does not make it any easier or faster compared to any other jobs. This is what mum did not understand. She assumed art was easy so it would not take too much time. Right? (NO guys it took a LOT of time).

So everyday I work, I feel anxious about completing my project and what my mum will ask me to do everyday when she did not have as much work. I did talk to her about this. And like any other Asian parent with high expectations, she wanted me to do the impossible and finish everything and get 7 hours of sleep (I run on 5 hours of sleep daily lmao RIP).

•••

For more artworks by me, check out my instagram @roschea.arts