Chapter 4: Controlled Feelings

The next day Mario and Luigi were back in the castle with Princess Peach. They were all in the throne room as they were all talking. Luigi was able to find out that Mario went out in the middle of the night. How? When Mario opened the door, Luigi was standing right in front of him with his arms crossing, giving him a glare.

Mario did apologize to him, but he also told Luigi what he found out. He told him about his powers, and about Salem. Luigi was surprised by this information, and since he did find it useful he decided to let the fact that Mario snuck out of the house when he was suppose to rest slide. At least one good thing came out of that. Not what he expected, but it was still something that could help.

Mario told Princess Peach about what happened, and she looked intrigued about this. However, just like how he was last night she also looked a little nervous of that power. Luigi looked nervous about this as well. They didn't want to lose him because of this power. They didn't know what it would do to him.

That was what made them nervous. Mario knows what he can do with it, yet he doesn't know what it can do to him. It could be life-threatening, or even worse than that. It could end his game for all he knows. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to deal with this.

"So, this 'Salem' was the one who chose you to wield his power, but he didn't tell you what for and why." Princess Peach finished, putting the pieces together.

"That's what happened." Mario said. "He didn't sound like a threat, but we still don't know that for sure."

"He wouldn't give you that power if he wasn't a threat, right?" Luigi guessed. "Maybe he's trying to tell us something, but something else is keeping him from saying what it is."

"He did say that their was a 'he' involved, another person." Mario said, crossing his arms. "Maybe that person's holding him back from telling us what we really need to know."

"Maybe." They all agreed."But we still don't know that for sure." Luigi said. "He could be lying, trying to trick us, or who knows what else."

"We've gotta try to find other clues then." Mario said. "Where can we start? That area I checked was the only idea I had."

"Actually..." Princess Peach spoke. "There could be something useful in my castle library. Maybe we can try to find a lead in one of the books."

"Won't that take all day though?" Mario asked.

"Not unless we start right away." She said determinedly. "Come on!" She began to make her way towards the library. The two brothers looked at each other for a moment before they followed Peach.

Within the next few seconds, they walked into the library...and was it a big one. The shelves were white and big, the books were neatly stacked. He still remembered one time he found Luigi and Peach in this room. He knows his little brother likes to read, especially if the books involve his research. He knows Luigi can be a bookworm at times, but he's not against it.

"Alright. Guess we should split up then." Mario said. "We could get this done faster that way."

"Very well then." Peach said. "I'll check the shelves in the front."

"I'll check the right shelf!" Luigi said.

"I'll go to the left then." Mario said. The trio all split up into the shelves they chose and got to work. Mario noticed that their were letters on the tops of the shelves, indicating the first letter of the books. At least, that made it a little easier for him. He was relieved about that.

After minutes and minutes of looking through the shelves. He took out one book from the shelf, and his eyes widened a little seeing what was on the cover.