Part 1

I wonder how my life would be
if I could stop being perfect?

The melodious sound of birds chirping in the garden reels me back from my dream land to reality.
"Good morning Miss Y/n." Hana walks in to my room & greets me with her cheerful sing-song-y voice as usual.
"I've prepared your clothes in the bathroom. Please take a shower whenever you're ready." She says to me as she slides open the thick jacquard curtain, revealing the bright sunny sky behind the drop down window.
My eyes squint at the sudden burst of light, wishing that I could go back to sleep instead.
"Ahhh, it's a beautiful day today." She smiles at the sun.
"It is." I reply, although I've never given a damn about the weather.
Because how ever nice the weather is, my life is still the same. Dark & gloomy.
"You have 30 minutes to get ready before breakfast with Kang sajangnim." She checks her watch & elusively urges me to hurry.
"네 (ne=yes).." I throw my feet off the plush king size bed & slip them into a pair of soft lambskin slippers.
Like a robot, I do my morning routines efficiently & put on the outfit Hana has prepared for me.
A long-sleeved white shirt, a loose black skirt hanging well below my knees, and a pair of black flats. Plain & modest, just like the rest of the content of my wardrobe.
I fasten the buttons of my shirt from the bottom up. But just before I reach the last button, my fingers stop.
Checking my reflection in the mirror, I decide to be a little bit daring today & leave the single button at the top unfastened, exposing my clavicles.
The last thing I need to do is tying my long black hair into a tight pony tail. Not a strand of loose hair in sight.
"I'm ready." I walk out of the bathroom & say to Hana.
"You look beautiful today." The same exact thing she says every single day, which I never believe.
Back straight, neck stiff, I walk down the winding marble stairs to the dining area where my father is waiting.
"Good morning Abeonim." I bow to my father, who is reading the newspaper while sipping his coffee, black without sugar, at the huge mahogany dining table.
My father, Kang Jihwan or Kang sajangnim as most people call him, is the most prominent businessman in our hometown. He is also known as a generous philanthropist, a religious disciple, a charming man & the most eligible divorcee. He's got looks, fame, & fortune, and thus so many women desire to be his wife.
And I, am the only child to such a remarkable man.
"Good morning my precious daughter. How-" He lifts his gaze from the newspaper & smiles, but the curve of lips gradually flattens as soon as he lays eyes on me.
"-are you this morning?" He finishes his question with a deadpan expression.
Knowing exactly what made him react that way, I begin to feel uneasy & regret my decision earlier.
"I-I'm fine Abeonim." I nervously reply, not brave enough to meet his eyes.
"Hana ssi, you & the others may leave. I would like to have breakfast alone with my daughter." He turns to Hana, who immediately signals the servants to follow her out of the dining room.
"What is your schedule today?" He asks me while cutting the sunny-side-up on his porcelain plate with a knife.
"I have classes until 4 pm & then I need to attend the women's club summer charity ball at 7 pm. The event should end at around 10:30 pm." I answer, even though I'm sure he has already been informed of my schedule.
"Good. Make sure you bid & donate a lot." He nods.
Both of us continue eating breakfast in silence.
"It was lovely talking to you this morning, Y/n. Now, I need to get going first." He places his utensils on the empty plate & rises from his seat.
Is he going to let it slide? Why isn't he saying anything?
A wave of relief washes over me as he begins to step further & further away from the table.
"Ah, I almost forgot." I hear his steps approaching from behind, making all the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
He snakes his hands around my neck & fasten the top button of my shirt.
"I need to remind you to always be perfect, prim & proper, like I've taught you to. You are not a whore like your mother, are you?" He whispers in my ear, tone calm but not any less menacing.
"N-No, Abeonim." I vigorously shake my head.
"Good." He says as he pats the space where my clavicles peeked out earlier.
"I'll personally prepare the dress for tonight's charity ball for you. Wear it well & don't do anything that embarrasses me."
With that, he truly leaves the room this time.
I let out a long breath, which I don't even realize that I've been holding.
God, until when do I have to live like this?
I bite my lip to stop myself from crying & then inhale deeply before regaining my composure & continue eating my breakfast.