SETTING FOOT IN DRIATEN

H E A R T S

of

D U S K

† PREVIEW †

PREVIEW

It was never going to work.

Even if our attempt on the King's life came close, it was still bound to go wrong.

Seeva's strike might've been powerful enough, but his stealth was severely lacking. Always had been. There were too many Keepers, too many watchful eyes—his gift would be snuffed out before it came anywhere near the noble. Then he'd be arrested and stripped, if not killed.

I said as much to him that morning, but he wouldn't bat those charcoal eyes. He only replied, "I'll make it work."

There was no option but to trust him. Without our mission, I had no purpose. Staying back meant accepting what was done to my friends, my family. Refusing to act would label me a coward—perhaps not from anyone except myself, but that was enough. I wouldn't be able to live on if I did nothing.

You may not live on by doing something, either.

The thought had ravaged my mind since dawn and was still swirling in my head even when the last violet rays of daylight sunk behind distant mountains. As I followed the melody of harps and flutes to the village square, I silenced the thought with a new one.

If I'm to die, let it be in the pursuit of what I believe in.

• • •

WELCOME TO
DRIATEN

the realm in which noble elves reign supreme, and all other creatures submit to their authority

where supernatural gifts are not to see the light of day despite the brilliance they once whispered to the skies

the land born of frost and ash
which gave rise to four kingdoms:

UAWRITH