38 | spark and sparkles

Callista had finished drying her hair

Callista had finished drying her hair. She put on her cross necklace and changed into a band tee and faux denim sweats. She pulled her hair in a bun and walked to her bedroom, eyeing the sleeping form of her best friend. She yanked the covers off him, revealing his tattooed back.

"Cas, wake up!"

Castor groaned and grabbed a pillow to hide his face. "Yes. Pancakes will be fine."

"What?" She tugged at the pillow to no avail. "It's almost noon."

"Pizza then," he answered and sank his face deeper into the covers.

Caly sighed. Castor had never been a morning person plus the fact that they had talked until morning. "Alright. But you better come down after ten minutes or no pizza for you."

He gave her a thumbs up that made Caly chuckle as she went down. She ordered pizza and headed to the kitchen to drink water.

Thomas entered after a few minutes. The old was in a gardening outfit. He pulled off his gloves and grabbed a glass. "Good morning, Miss. Late night?"

Caly poured water on his glass. "What are you talking about?"

"Castor's car is outside."

She flushed at his observation and gulped the water. Callista met Thomas' inquisitive eyes. "Nothing happened."

"Okay. But do let me know if he's courting you."

Caly choked on her drink. "What? Seriously?"

Thomas folded his arms as his voice turned stern. "I like that kid but if he thinks that you're an easy—"

"Hey, hey!" She waved her hands in front of him. "No one's courting anyone. That's not even a thing now. Geez." Caly laughed, feeling her cheeks go hot. His concern was embarrassing but she appreciated it. Her father had never once shown interest in her life let alone her love life. It felt good.

"Miss Caly?"

Callista shook her head. Her heart felt heavy at the thought of her dad. "Thank you for worrying about me, old man. I'm glad I have you."

Thomas looked surprised but he eventually grinned at her. "I'll always worry for you, Callista. And since, we're talking about this... I actually added more security for you. If you want to check—"

"No need. I trust you," she said. Caly still wondered why nobody was coming after her. Since the news about her father leaving town broke, she had expected a lot of retaliation but nothing happened for weeks. She was tempted to seek them out but she didn't want to instigate a fight. So she decided to play defense.