Chapter 8-Dessert Tasting and a Bowlful of Life

Dev rang Meera's doorbell at a quarter past midnight. She did not live far from the restaurant and he had no difficulty locating her house. As she opened the door, the first thought that struck him was how beautiful she looked. She was standing in front of him, looking adorable in an over-sized pullover and snugly fitting black tracks.

"Hi!"

She was positively glowing, or so he thought. It could have been his imagination, but he hoped it wasn't. He was feeling things for her-things he hadn't ever felt before. It was almost stupid; no, actually, it was stupid. He barely even knew her to be feeling this way. But he just could not help it. This was going to be a long night...

After Meera escorted Dev inside the house and offered him water, they got right down to business. They were seated in her tiny but cosy dining room. Dev looked around a little and decided he loved the feel of the place-the vibes were terrific and extremely positive. Meera told him she had prepared a chocolate pavlova for them to sample together.

She added sheepishly, "I had a sudden brain-wave when I was cooking this pavlova. I realized that I thoroughly enjoyed all non-chocolate desserts at Vanya. It was just the chocolate desserts that were a little on the, err, overly-sweet side! I think you need to rectify your chocolate-based recipes-the rest is perfect."

Before he could interrupt her, she spoke again, "For the time being, let's just agree to disagree, alright? Just try what I have cooked and let's save this argument for later?"

Dev nodded silently. He was willing to put off an argument for as long as possible. But he did add, "Just one thing before we start-let's do away with the formalities. Please call me Dev."

"Well then, I am Meera. It's a pleasure to meet you, Dev," she winked adorably.

She loved the way his name rolled off of her tongue. It made her feel like they were extremely close, and she really liked the feeling.

Thankfully, she snapped out of her thoughts soon enough and both of them grabbed spoons and dug into the smooth chocolate-brown pavlova and tasted it. Neither said anything for a few seconds-each was busy analyzing the taste, texture, richness of the dessert.

Meera was the first to break the silence, "So, what do you think?"

Dev did not answer immediately. He knew no easy way to say this and he was struggling with words. Meera's proximity, the luscious chocolatey scent of the pavlova mixed with that of hers, all of these combined factors were causing his brain to go into overdrive.

"Dev?"

He slowly looked up at her and said just three words, but they conveyed so much more than any speech he could have given, "This is perfect."

A luminous smile broke out on her face, lighting it up like the earthen diyas lit up Diwali, the festival of lights.

"It is?" she asked, wanting confirmation that she had heard him correctly.

"It is. Just the right amount of sweet; not an extra grain of sugar, nor an extra ounce of chocolate. Listen, I am the last person to compliment you after you blasted my restaurant, but I cannot lie. This pavlova is the best I've ever eaten. And the sweetness is on the money." And it was. He wasn't just saying this to make her happy, make her smile; though he did admit he loved seeing her smile. The pavlova actually tasted heavenly and he wanted to go for seconds. "If you cook every ingredient as well as you have cooked the chocolate in this pavlova, why don't you have a restaurant of your own?"

Meera suddenly looked a little hesitant, "You are not just saying that, are you? Just to get me off your back?" She looked extremely vulnerable.

Dev frowned-why was this talented, indepented woman underestimating herself so much! Ignoring the warning bells in his head, he placed his hand on top of hers. "No, I am not lying. Yes, I mean it. And you need to shut up and accept the compliment."