⚬ chapter seventy-one

Ronnie downs the last of her white claw, crushing it and chucking it in a nearby trash can as I pull out a cigarette from my pocket

Ronnie downs the last of her white claw, crushing it and chucking it in a nearby trash can as I pull out a cigarette from my pocket. "You know you're gonna get caught one day," I say, smiling at how recklessly she drinks out in the open.

"Yeah, well you know those are gonna kill you one day? Not to mention, cigarettes are just as forbidden as drinking," She points out, raising an eyebrow as I light my cigarette. Touché. "But anyway, I'm a Dale, remember? My mother cares too much about our reputation to let them actually punish me for anything."

I feel the smoke go into my lungs before pulling the cigarette away from my lips. "You sure going to this party is a good idea?" I ask, staring down at my cigarette as we walk and try to calm my nerves. Ever since Ronnie and I talked that one night, I've been trying to get out more and move past the breakup. It's not like Greyson has made any effort to fix anything at all so I've essentially concluded that he doesn't care about me anymore.

Life has been feeling pretty numb as a result, but cigarettes help, I guess. Not as much anymore.

"Come on, drowning your sorrows in alcohol is always a good idea," She insists.

"Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna drink tonight," I reply. Potentially seeing Greyson and Mikey while intoxicated seems like a very bad scenario to me. Not sure what I would do or say so I'm just going to stick to my cigarettes tonight. "Plus, someone's gotta be sober enough to make sure you don't go back to Ray Stevens' dorm. I'm being a good friend when I say you have been sinking a little low lately."

Ronnie tries to look shocked, but she knows it's true. Ever since her breakup with Lucas, she's been a little all over the place. She tried to tell herself it was going to be easy breaking up with him, but I know she's hurting more than she's letting on and covering that pain with desperate boys that are tall and pretty enough to make her forget her pain. She definitely made the right choice breaking up with him, but it's obviously still going to hurt. He was the first guy she's ever really cared about and that means something.

"Ray Stevens is hot," She says, defending her actions. He's been all over since the minute her and Lucas broke up. He's one of Greyson's friends and as much as I love Grey, his choice in friends is not exactly spectacular. I stare at her knowingly. "Okay, fine. He's a bit of a fuckboy, but that's what I need."

"Uh, excuse me? What happened to the whole boys ain't shit? You're the sun, remember? You don't need one to be happy!" I exclaim, bringing back her words against her.

She rolls her eyes. "But they help."

I slowly start to get more anxious as we near the party. There are two people I'd rather not run into — one of which will make me explode in a fit of anger while the other will make me fall apart. Not to mention, the whole school will most likely be talking about our breakup and of course, all the fun stuff Mikey shared about me with everyone. You can probably see why am I not too excited to be going to this party, but I'm here for Ronnie so I'll just have to get through it somehow.