Chapter 30

ADA

My skirts swish around my ankles as I walk into the living room. It's like standing in front of a strobe light. The flashing from what must be a hundred cameras blinks through the slats of the closed blinds. A shockwave of applause erupts, and I can hear people shouting Liam's name. Pressing a hand to my corseted stomach, I take a shaky breath. Well, as much of a breath as I can take in this thing anyway. I thought women stopped wearing corsets in the nineteenth century. I can't imagine why in the Hollywood Hills someone would bring them back.

I have to admit, though, the dress does look pretty incredible. It's strapless and covered in sparkling beadwork. The layers of canary-yellow silk and tulle spill over my hips, turning my eyes an amber color and transforming my normally gangly figure into something softer, curvier. I've never felt this glamorous in my life. It's uncomfortable and exciting all at once.

Faye had her personal shopper hand-deliver the dress a few hours ago. Elodie claimed she couldn't get off work to help me get ready—which is a little hard to believe since Charlie let her off last month when she declared my fingernails a state of national emergency. So, Faye also sent her makeup artist and hairdresser over to get me 'red-carpet ready.' My makeup is YouTube-tutorial-perfect, and my wavy hair has been curled and loosely braided back into an intricate, lavender bun. They plucked, primped, and polished until I looked like all the photos I've seen of celebrities at movie premieres and award shows.

I wonder if any of them were ever as sick with nerves as I feel. My hands tremble against the folds of my skirt, making the tulle rustle. I clench my fingers into fists. I'm not sure if I'm more anxious about walking that red carpet or having Liam inside our brownstone.

The good thing about Liam picking me up here is that he's going to meet my parents, so Dad will stop hounding me. The bad thing about Liam picking me up here...is that he's going to meet my parents.

A flush creeps up my neck at the thought of my impending mortification as I glance over at my family. They're sitting on the couch, mouths hanging open, obviously as overwhelmed by the commotion outside as I am.

The intercom buzzes. I take a step toward it, but Dad jumps up, cutting me off and answering it before I can. "Who is it?" he calls.

"Seriously, Dad?" I hiss. "Who do you think they're taking pictures of out there, a door-to-door salesman?"

He ignores me, and Liam's voice reverberates through the speaker. "It's Liam Anders, sir."

Dad pauses a few seconds longer than is really necessary before saying, "Come on up, Liam."

I start for the door, but Dad holds up a hand. "I've got it."

I groan, staring down at the floor and wishing it would swallow me whole. He's clearly in full guard-dog mode. Dad opens the door, and I can just see Liam from around his shoulder. Even in the dim lighting of the hallway, he's beautiful. His tan skin is radiant next to his dark tuxedo jacket, and his lips are quirked in my favorite crooked grin. He's holding two huge bouquets of flowers in one hand, and it's all I can do to keep from swooning right there. I feel Mom shoot me a knowing smile. Liam extends his other hand to my dad.

"Holy sh—!" Aiden starts, but Mom claps a hand over his mouth, cutting off the end of his sentence. His eyes are bulging, and he looks completely starstruck. This is the first time he's seen a celebrity this close.

"Tell me about it," I mutter as Liam and Dad shake hands. I decide to intervene before Dad can say anything too embarrassing. Side-stepping him, I smile up at Liam. "Hey."

Liam's eyes shine as they drink me in, making my knees go a little wobbly. I realize my nerves may not be entirely due to all the cameras waiting for us outside. Now that I'm dating Liam for real, I don't really know how to act around him. My fingers practically ache from wanting to reach out and entangle themselves with his, but I don't want to come across as clingy.