THREE

CHAPTER THREE
—dumb war games

🗡🗡🗡

  —THE Ares cabin took morning patrol three out of seven days a week, and since they had it the morning before, they didn't get to have it this morning. So it was just their luck that the Apollo cabin got the honor of fighting off an Aethiopian dragon. And they didn't even finish the job!

Lee Fletcher was describing the attack to the entirety of the campers at breakfast with crazed eyes. The Ares cabin listened intently for the details, vicariously living through the moment. "We got around three dozen arrows lodged in its armor before it ran off. It's still out there," he warned. "We just made it mad. The thing was thirty — no, forty feet long and bright green. Its eyes —"

  "You did well, Lee," Chiron patted him on the shoulder, stopping his rant before it really got going. "Everyone stay alert, but stay calm. This has happened before."

"Aye," Quintus said from the head table. "And it will happen again. More and more frequently."

  Judith just knew that this would fuel Clarisse to study her gods-forsaken map more. She wanted to rip that thing to shreds. All it served to do was put campers on edge at meal times.

  "This is a good reason for new war games," Quintus continued, a glint in his eyes. "We'll see how you all do with that tonight."

Judith smirked at the news. When Quintus first arrived, he had started the tradition of war games, something that took place decades ago at the camp. It was the best thing since capture the flag since the chariot races weren't exactly a fan favorite after the Stymphalian bird attack last summer.

"Yes ..." Chiron said. "Well, enough announcements. Let us bless this meal and eat." He raised his goblet. "To the gods."

Everyone repeated the blessing and moved to scrape a portion of their meal into the bronze brazier. Judith happened to sidle up next to Percy, and she was conflicted about staying by his side. The hostility she felt had disappeared after their brawl, but she knew that any time she spent with him, was more ammo for Ellis and Mark. But as she listened to his whispered prayer, she stayed out of curiosity.

"Poseidon," He said. Then he mumbled, "Help me with Nico, and Luke, and Grover's problem ..."

  Judith made her presence known. "What's up with Nico?"

  The boy jumped sky high, accidentally sending another strawberry sailing into the pit. "Oh, you know, just that he's still missing and no one knows where he is." Judith was unconvinced and he winced at her blatant stare. "I'll tell you later."

  Judith watched him walk away to his table, wondering why he was being so secretive. And then she had to wonder why she was so concerned about it. She rolled her eyes and quickly said her father's name as per usual before leaving for her own table. She cursed at seeing Clarisse with her map out again.

  "Would you put that damn thing away?" Judith asked. "It puts everyone on edge."

Clarisse didn't even look up. "It should. We need to all be prepared for Luke and his army. Especially with how small numbers we have."

It was true. The camp was less populated this summer. Campers had joined Luke, some had died, and some decided staying at home was just the safer option ( which it probably was at this point ).

"The closest entrance you've found is Manhattan, what could you possibly be looking for?" Judith interrogated.

"I don't know!" Clarisse slammed her fist down on the table. Judith immediately stilled, doing a check on her chest to see if her Odikinesis had flared up, but Clarisse's outburst was all her own doing. Her already-short temper was being tested with little sleep and little food, so she was irritable that morning. Judith chose to let the argument go.