First Awkward Conversation

"Don't go, no, the night's not over.

I just wanna get a little bit closer.

And I'll press you to the pages of my heart."

—"Want You in My Room" Carly Rae Jepsen

Aeric

Needless to say, their reunion is nothing short of passionate, even if the Dragons come home defeated. Ian borrows Guinevere to pick Aeric up from school that Sunday, and even though they've been chatting whenever he's had free time. Ian's known about the defeat since it happened, hence the reward of finally getting to drive Barley's prized van. Aeric sighs in relief when Ian leaps into his arms for a kiss, declarations that they missed each other and quiet murmurs of love pressed against each other's lips.

But they kiss even more in the van, secluded in Guinevere's back area, and Ian's more alive and vivacious than ever. Those hands are all over him the moment his duffel is placed down, pinning him like they haven't seen each other in a month, and not just a weekend. Aeric feels like he can barely do anything; he's completely at Ian's mercy as he lets his mind go and wanders. It's the first time Ian's ever dared to even let his hands wander under his shirt, and Aeric leans into him with a sigh.

He's home.

It's intense, to have Ian this close, humming how much he missed him, how much he loves him, and Aeric can't even keep up for fear of... well, he's not really sure, when Ian is leading him. It's funny, how shy he can be in front of other people, but when it's just the two of them, he's someone else entirely, with Aeric at his mercy.

It doesn't go farther than that, though, especially when Ian pulls back and chuckles as if he wasn't just all over him, and Aeric is breathless, wide-eyed, even, before heading back into the front seat, straightening himself out.

Ian treats him to Burger Shire (Aeric vows that he's going to work out, of course, but it's been a hard weekend), and then to the lookout by the observatory, overlooking New Mushroomton. It's a more gorgeous view at night, but in the late afternoon, there's something to be said about the sun gleaming off every building, as they picnic atop Guinevere's hood.

"I know I said it a thousand times when we called, but I'm really sorry for blowing up the way I did," he apologizes again. Ian's accepted it every time, and it's a huge relief that they're somehow stronger after this. "Mom said I should probably start talking about it more and even brought up therapy, if I want it."

"Do you?" Ian asks, taking his hand and squeezing gently. "I mean, it might not hurt."

"Dunno." Aeric shrugs, looking out at the city. "Thinking about her psyched me out this weekend, like some hyperfixation I couldn't shake. There were a lot of factors to our loss, but... I can't help but feel like this one's on me."

"It can't just be you," Ian assures. "I mean, have you seen the way other Erik throws sometimes?"

Aeric laughs, because even after all this time, Ian still doesn't understand how the game works. The mention of the name makes him a little somber, because something else has been plaguing him... "Can I tell you something?" he asks hesitantly. "About my birth mom?"

Ian nods, inclining closer. "If you want," he says. "We don't have to just immediately start talking about her now, even if there's a lot you have to work through."

"I know, but I think you should know this." Because no one else does. His parents do, of course, but they don't really get it. "She wanted to name me 'Kelby.'"