Chapter Forty

Dylan’s Point of View

 I continued to drive; glancing over at Alec every few seconds to see if he had moved in any way since I managed to get him sat in the front passenger seat. I carefully steered with one hand, since my other was clenched in Alec’s with the ability to cut my blood circulation off.

He had stopped crying, but his face was still tear-stained and his eyes were red, glazed over from the alcohol he had consumed. I had gotten a text from Luke confirming that Alec had been drinking, but I had guessed that much.  Since I had gotten him into the car he had refused to say anything, and had just sat staring out of the window while gripping my hand.

“Alec,” I said softly, “talk to me would you?”

Still no response, but the grip on my hand tightened slightly.

When I pulled into the drive of my house Alec remained sat in the same position,  but he did let go of my hand once I tried to pull away. I quickly got out of the car and made my way round to his side and opened the door. I unbuckled his seatbelt and swung his arm over my shoulders and wrapped my arms around his waist.

“Time to get out the car, buddy,” I said, pulling him out of the car door. He nearly collapsed when his feet hit the ground and re-positioned him so I was half carrying/ half dragging him towards the house.

I somehow managed to get my key in the door while balancing Alec against me, and we quietly made our way inside.

“Dylan,” mumbled Alec. Hallelujah, he speaks!

“Yeah?”

“I think I’m gonna throw up.”

“Right, okay. Just try to bear with me...”

I managed to quickly steer Alec down the hall and into the bathroom, and he collapsed onto his knees in front of the toilet and began to heave.

I sat down next to him and slowly rubbed his back and smoothed back his dark hair from his forehead while he got the alcohol out of his system.

“Hey, it’s okay,” I mumbled quietly.

I looked up when I heard the bathroom door open, and my mum was stood there in her dressing gown with worried expression on her face.

‘Is he okay’ she mouthed, pointing to Alec. I nodded back and mouthed ‘we’ll be fine’. She gave me a small smile before signalling that she was down the hall if we needed anything and I nodded before turning back to Alec. I heard the bathroom door close quietly and Alec stopped heaving into the toilet.

“Wait there,” I said quietly, getting up and wetting a small towel so he could wipe his face. He managed to flush the toilet before sitting back and resting his back against the wall. In the bathroom light his golden skin looked pale and clammy, and his hair was sticking to his forehead. He kept his eyes screwed shut while he wiped at his face with the towel and groaned quietly.

“Sorry,” he croaked.

I got a spare tooth brush out of the bathroom cupboard and helped him to his feet. He gripped the sink for balance and blinked a few times, looking in the mirror. His green eyes were blood-shot and glazed still, struggling to focus. I handed him the toothbrush and kept my hand on his back while he brushed his teeth, just in case he did lose his balance. One he was finished I took his hand and put his arm back over my shoulder and made our way to my room.

I left Alec leaning on the back of the bedroom door and went and turned on my bedside lamp, slowly turning round to face him.

He was looking at me, half slouched against the door.