Part 1: Close.

Too close to say any words

Too close to see anyone else

So close that we can't breathe

So close that there is only you and me today

1

Close

'If we find someone so lovely and adored them terribly,

But we knew this would be the only chance we got to

meet,

The best thing we could do is to smile at each other,

Take care of one another, and then leave.

That's all, that's enough...

The first page of the book had a quote that made an impression on me, and that's why I decided to buy it; it's a story of the band 'Scrubb'. Even though I'm not a big fan of the band, I used to play many of their songs during the time I was obsessed with playing my guitar day and night.

Especially the song 'Close.' Damn... I think I've played it a hundred times already. That's why, when I read the reason they wrote this song, it feels even more special.

"Sarawat."

"Bastard."

"Yeah."

I close the book I was reading, and look up to meet my friends' eyes. Don't need to wait for them to open their mouths, I can tell by their eyes what they want to say. Its probably about where to hang out, as usual.

"Let's hang out after classes." There it goes. Just as I thought.

"I'll pass."

"Dude, our high school life is about to be over. Live it while we can."

"You're talking like you're a motivational book. We've already lived to the fullest."

Being high school seniors in the first semester means we're free from attending every single class, and can now choose to attend only some classes, depending on our moods. We spend most of our time at the tutorial school to prepare for admission tests.

But there are those who think that the admission tests are as important as living life fully before the age of eighteen has gone by without us making any memories or without causing some trouble to be reminisced later. And of course, my friends are those people. "But my bro said the indie bands will be performing at his uni. free pass, aren't you interested at all?"

The person in front of me is still pressing on as the others rush in to join the conversation, as though trying to pressure me to go with them.

"What are those bands?" I don't give them an answer and ask them back instead.

"Lots."

"Name it."

"Damn you, who would remember that? Let me find the leaflet first. But for sure..." My friend pauses, eyes moving, trying to recall it. "There's your favorite band. Attitude is Bliss?"

"It's Solitude is Bliss. Are you really my friend?"

"Yeah, that one. Will you go or not? Don't play hard to get, your pals are waiting."

"Why wouldn't I?" I can't help but shake my head, and my friends rush me to put my stuff into my bag to get ready to leave.

I don't remember how many times I've come to the concerts at Silpakom. I only know that several bands perform here very often. Events are held so frequently as if they want to blow the place up. The event today is especially huge because it's some sort of an indie gathering, so we're surrounded by college students, high schoolers, and general people.

The stage takes up one side of the place, being the conspicuous center for music lovers. Many bands have started their performances, so the open space is now very crowded. Along the sides are food stalls, activity booths, and shops for limited edition items. Gigantic poster poles of the artists are all overthe area, perfect for taking photos to keep as a memory or post on social media like people always do.

"Smile, baby. You're soooooo cute." I hear my friend's voice in the distance.

I turn to where the voice came from and see him diligently taking photos of his girlfriend, who is from a different school, with the poster of a famous artist as the background. The other two are no

different—they are waiting for their girlfriends who are on their way here, leaving me alone.

"Make me look pretty, okay?"

'What? How can I take a pretty photo when you're not pretty?"

"Then go find a new pretty girlfriend!"

"Aw, I'm just kidding, baaaaaabe."

Al right, I guess I'm the fucking black sheep of the gang. They pestered me to come, but now they have abandoned me to be with their girls. I should've gotten used to it by now, but still can't help sighing.

I, at last, decide to split with them to take photos of the ambience at the event, killing time until my favorite band will perform.

It'll probably be hours until then, though.

"A bottle of water, please."

"Got it, do you want it cold or not, dear?"

"The cold one, please." IWe been walking around for a while, and just stopped at a beverage stall that seems to be doing well. The owner of the stall smiles all the time. After I've ordered, she tums around to get one bottle of water from a big freezer. "Ten baht, son."

"Ma'am, can I have a glass of Blue Hawaii, pleeeease?"

I haven't handed her the money when someone steps up next to me, and orders in such a cheerful voice that I have to tum to look at him.

"I don't have Blue Hawaii. Would you like Blueberry instead?"

He pouts a little before asking her back.

"Is there anything as good as Blue Hawaii? The stalls around here don't have it, I'm sad," he mumbles the last sentence to himself. The owner shakes her head, so he finally looks up and says meekly, "Blueberry it is, please."

"Wait a minute, dear. Oh, ten baht for the water, son." I apparently become visible to her a second later. I pay for the water quickly, but instead of hurrying away, my two feet get stuck in place, and my eyes focus on the stranger with fair skin.

He's wearing a student uniform with a familiar abbreviation. The hem of his shirt isn't properly tucked in, and he holds a flat leather bag with one arm while reaching another hand into his pocket to get money.

"Here you are, we've been looking for you." Someone cuts in as I'm staring at him. I guess this must be his friend since they're wearing the same uniform. "l was trying to find Blue Hawaii." "Did you get it?"

"Nah, I got Blueberry instead."

"Whatever. You better hurry up, your beloved band is about to perform." The friend suddenly takes off after saying that, leaving the spluttering person behind to shout after him.

"Hey! Wait for me, I have to be in the front row!"

He quickly hands the stall owner the money, grabs the glass of Blueberry, and runs for his life after his friend. I look at that sight for a moment until he disappears from my eyes. I don't know

why I was looking; I don't know why I cared when I normally don't give a damn to whatever happens around me.

Maybe it's his cute face, his voice, his manners, or something I can't explain. All I know is something about him intrigues me even if he's a guy.

( Rrrr Rrrr-- )

My phone's ringtone brings me back to reality. The screen shows my friend's name. I know he's going to tell me to meet up with them, and yes, we're finally standing in front of the stage to see one of my friends' favorite band perform.

"l once wondered what experience made the band write all the sad songs. It fucking hurts when I listen to them," my friend whispers as he leans closer to me, his other hand holding his girl's as if they will never let go of each other in this life.

"How the hell would I know? Aren't you their hardcore fan?"

"I love their music, but I don't dig into their personal lives, moron." Moving and Cut is his favorite band. He listens to their songs all day. Their songs are sad but addictive. He's probably just like me who repeats the Solitude is Bliss's playlist endlessly.

'We want you to sing the last song with us loud and clear...Please, my heart's had enough. It hurts too much that I can

"

no longer take it.

Wooooooo—

We missed the first song because we were all in different areas. Good thing we made it to the last part of the performance

por-laew-jai (Had Enough) by Moving and Cut

because now the sadness from Moving and Cut has changed to loud cheers and brightness from Scrubb. My eyes unintentionally catch the back of someone in the crowd.

He slowly moves forward until he's almost at the front row. The song isn't that lively but he's dancing like crazy. Even from afar,

I can clearly see him wiggling in the crowd.

So damn funny, so fucking cute.

'Answer' is the first song Scrubb plays. When I see my friend and his girlfriend get absorbed in the song, not wishing to ruin their sweet moment, I decide to step forward, following my feeling. I make my way through the crowd until I'm right beside him.

"Calm down, dude. This is a sad song." Even after the first song has ended, this guy is still wiggling ceaselessly, and his friends have to stop him.

"Oh, yeah? I'm still hooked on the first song."

"Urgh! You're so annoying."

"You're the annoying one. I'm having fun. Dont stop me." "Shouldn't have brought you here. What a burden to society."

He pursed his lips at his friends and soon sings along loudly in enjoyment. He barely looks at others, and even I can't make him notice me.

I'm not sure why I chose to stand beside this stranger. I'm not sure why I'm staring at him. I'm not sure why I start singing along even though I always watched my favorite band perform from afar.

No matter how hard I keep asking myself, I receive no answer.

I just want to follow my feeling and not give a damn about anything anymore.

Scrubb's songs continue on and on, passing on the energy to the audience in front of the stage. The vibe is fun and lively. The sun slowly sets, replaced by tons of spotlights, but I can still see the person in front of me clearly.

This dude is fucking energetic!

He's been dancing nonstop since the first song. He's covered in sweat, a smile plastered on his face, leaving me stunned, How the hell can he smile so cutely?

"All right, everyone...Let's jump together. Three, two, one!" Mueys voice fills the air, and this little guy obeys. Everyone here is lost in the world of music.

Slowly, I'm being pushed back by the crowd until I can't look at him from his side. My line of vision has changed from his profile to his pale nape.

"I'm out to look at the sky and the wide sea, smelling the earth carried by the breeze

"Woooooooo!"

I'm starting to understand the words 'dance like crazy' more clearly now.

At that moment, something happens...

"Oops, sorry."

My body goes stiff, and I'm unable to breathe. I suddenly don't know what to do.

Who would have thought that he would step back and bump into me? Plus, he says sorry in a tired voice, panting. Fuck...

Am I being attacked?

He doesn't even look at me but just tums around to continue dancing with his friends after apologizing. However, the one who was bumped into is still lost in his thought

Sarawat, this is not normal.

"Here comes the last song. I'm giving it to all of you here. Let's sing together, dance together, and... move a little bit closer to each other. I believe the best song is the song we relate to the most." 'Wooooooooooo!!"

"Too close to say any words. Too close to see anyone

else..."

The moment the music starts, and Muey's low voice echoes through the microphone, my whole world stops. I still hear the familiar song, but everyone else has stopped moving. He's the only one who's moving naturally,

"So close that we cant breathe. So close that there is only you and me today. "

This is not the feeling of falling in love. It's just... the feeling you have when you like someone or something, but find it difficult to explain it or say anything about it.

It reminds me of the quote I read from that book. If one day I find someone whom I adore terribly and believed I wouldn't get to meet him again, what would I do? Would I try to get to know him? Would I keep this feeling to myself? These questions keep running through my head as the songs go on.

"Maybe it's because you happened to meet me. Maybe it's because we happen to be together. "

'Close' is a song about a relationship that happens in a short period oftime. I have feelings for him, but we'll end up apart, so there's no reason to introduce myself and get to know him or anything. I can only thank the world for flinging us into each other. His smile, his cheerful voice, and his tired face full of happiness.

Just looking at him is enough for me.

I don't wish to do anything more.

"Sarawat, where are you going?"

"The restroom."

"Then I'll go and see my girl off. I'll call you when Solitude comes on stage."

"Okay."

Many people leave after Scrubb has finished their performance, but some are still waiting for the next bands. I usually don't go anywhere far when my favorite band is about to perform, but today's different because that guy is leaving with his friends. So, I can't help but follow him from a distance.

He makes his way backstage and is gently pushed by his friends, but he shakes his head adorably.

"Ask them for a selfie. Muey and Ball are very kind."

"No."

"What the heck are you afraid of?"

"l don't wanna bother them," he says and smiles. "It's good enough, seeing them this close." "Is that all you want?" "Yeah, but do me a favor."

"How annoying. What is it?"

"Take a photo of me and their poster." He points at the big sign. So then, they move closer to the target and take their phones to capture photos repeatedly.

l , who's been stalking them, hurry to ask someone to help.

"Excuse me, can you please take my photo?" I hand my phone to a girl walking by. She takes it with a smile and answers joyfully.

"Sure thing."

I stand quite far from the Scrubb's poster and that guy. I try to lean to the side a little, hoping to capture him in my photo. It will be a memory before we part, at least.

Click!

She presses the shutter, but when I tum around, he's already gone.

"Thank you."

She retums my phone. The screen shows the photo she took. Of course there's me, the Scrubb's poster as the background, and if you zoom in, you'll see someone else there as well.

I can't believe that at last, I will have one more favorite band from the event at Silpakom.

It's because of him.. .the person whose name I don't even know.

When we find someone who leaves an impression on us, no one can say how long the memory would linger for If it is me, I would forget their face soon after we've met once. I assumed that it would be no different with this guy, but who would have thought that at last...

I can still remember his face.