fourteen

ethan

wednesday night, i get a weird text.

tessa v: do you remember where i live?

me: ...yes?

tessa v: good. pick me up, but don't show up at my driveway. go to the next street over and park under the lamppost at the light blue house. i'll sneak out my backward.

me: why?

tessa v: are you saying you don't want to?

no, that's not at all what i'm saying. i'm just confused as to why she is proposing it.

me:  be ready in 15

i scramble off my couch and practically hop over a laundry basket to grab a pair of shoes and snatch my car keys off the counter. they jingle in my hands as i take the steps instead of the elevator, skipping one each time.

the directions to her house are vague in my head, but i remember she lived somewhere really nice, and i use that as my only guide to lead me back to the watched community on the west side.

then it all comes flooding back to me— the streets, houses, etc. i spot her road and then keep driving to the next one like she instructed and keep my eyes open for a lamppost outside of a light blue house.

i finally find it and pull out my phone to text her that i'm here, but there's no need. my passenger door opens immediately when i put it in park, causing me to gasp a little.

"you scared me," i admit as tessa slides in.

she offers me a wicked grin and tugs down her seatbelt strap. "i was waiting in my neighbor's treehouse for ten minutes."

"where does your dad think you are?" i ask as i put the car into drive.

"sleeping," she replies simply, messing with her long brown hair that's pulled into a high ponytail.

"never pinned you to be... sneaky."

"my dad is sooo strict," she breathes out. "so it didn't take a lot of time for me to learn."

"ah," i nod, understanding her struggle. "so... where are we going?"

"turn left here."

i scramble to put on my blinker and just about miss the turn, but no cars are really out for me to run into. she laughs, holding tightly to her seatbelt as she about slides off the seat.

"sorry," i say. "you spring directions on me quickly."

"don't you dare blame that lame excuse of a turn on me," she looks at me with humorous eyes, scoffing a little.

i turn my attention back on the road and try not the let the small blush on my face show.

"keep heading straight until you hit berkeley, then swing a right," she says, taking out her phone and typing on it quickly.