thirty-four

tessa

monday morning, my dad goes into his office with ethan and shuts the door. i don't protest, because i have a lot of work to do around the firm.

who knew one person could need six copies of each sheet of paper in a three inch binder, stapled and ready to go by lunchtime? i'll never forgive lucas from employment services for that.

ethan and my dad stay in his office for awhile, and i'm terrified he'll be in a bad mood when he comes out. if the stormy look is back in his eye, i now know not to even glance in his direction until it's cleared and replaced with the usual humorous glimmer.

even when the clock strikes noon, no signs of them. it almost makes me wonder if they left to go somewhere, but when i look out the windows i see both of their cars in the lot.

"weird," i mumble under my breath and pick at my salad. mary-anne has her day off today, so i've been picking up most of her work. daryl's on a client lunch, and my other two options are with each other, so i eat my food alone.

i'm half-way through a vanilla bean yogurt cup and scrolling on instagram when someone sits in the chair across me. i look up, slightly surprised.

ethan's eyes stare back at mine, and i'm relieved to see that they're pretty clear, just a little dim.

"hey," i smile, putting my spoon back in the yogurt. "where you been?"

"had to listen to your dad talk for about three hours," he rolls his eyes.

"what about?" i ask, laughing.

"august 14th."

i furrow my eyebrows. "what?"

"that's... that's when it is," he replies quietly.

i gape. "that's less than a month away."

he shrugs, leaning back in his seat. "don't know how it's so soon, but i'm trying not to think about it. your dad made me promises i wouldn't tell you any of this, so act clueless."

"got it."

"so..." he messes with the salt and pepper shakers in the middle of the small table. "want to go somewhere tonight?"

i give him a funny look. "ethan, it's monday."

"exactly. the city won't be busy."

sighing, i reply, "i don't know... we have to get up early for work and—"

"please?" he asks.

i'm silent before finally nodding. "where do you want to go?"

"i'll pick you up. don't worry about anything."

"what should i wear?"

"something that makes you look positively stunning," he replies, starting to stand up. "and i think we both know you never have much trouble with that."

"got it," i bite my bottom lip to try and contain the largest grin on my face. "what time?"

he half-smiles. "9. i'll get you back before curfew."