Chapter Twelve

"Peter, look out!" If I'd had a bow, I wouldn't care about the tiles, I'd have shot the treacherous king.

But Peter blocked the attack and had Miraz on his knees in seconds. I could breathe again.

Why was I so concerned?

I had no clue. Maybe because he was a kid. Maybe because all of Narnia depended on him surviving this duel. Maybe because I liked him a little. Or a lot.

Who knows?

And so what if I liked him? He was a nice kid. Though I guess none of us had been kids since we went through that wardrobe.

"What?" Miraz asked as Peter hesitated, "Too cowardly to take a life?"

"It's not mine to take," Peter handed the sword to Caspian, who drove it into the ground.

He spat, "Keep your life. But return Narnia to freedom."

Miraz, bewildered, leaned into one of the lords, who stabbed him with an arrow. One of Susan's red arrows.

I didn't see it coming, and I couldn't stop it.

"Treachery!" The lord exclaimed, "Treachery! She shot our king!"

Susan's bow wasn't even in her hand, but the Telmarines bought it. They charged, their whole army starting to cross the battlefield.

I ensured Peter, Edmund, and Caspian were ready for battle before helping Susan join the archers on the ledge.

Then, I leapt off the ledge, landing next to the kings in lion form as I began to fight.

"Hello, little kitty," a man taunted at one point after the Narnians had brought down part of the battlefield. Quite clever if you asked me.

"What did you call me?" I recognized it as one of the men who'd taunted me in my cage.

He smirked as he raised his sword, "Little lion cub."

"I am a mouse," I growled before attacking. My old nickname before Aslan left. Little mouse.

We ended up fighting for so long time started to move in slow motion.

The ground beneath me collapsed, the last of the pillars falling. I shifted human as I rolled over on the ground.

Wow that hurt.

A soldier charged towards me, but a red arrow planted into his head before he could attack. I nodded gratefully towards Susan.

A roar. One that only a lion's hearing would catch.

Lucy found Aslan.

The trees came to life, helping everyone as they tore the battlefield apart, throwing the Telmarines around like an orca playing with its dinner.

It was almost hilarious to watch.

I felt a sharp pain in my side, and the world went dark.

"Madi!" Someone shouted, "Madi, please! Wake up!"

"She's breathing," Susan's voice observed, "Slow and shallow, but still good."

Peter's voice snapped, "But she's not waking up!"

I was awake, I just couldn't move, everything hurt so bad. As much as it killed me to stay still, trying to open my eyes gave me a splitting headache.

I felt like someone had left me in a washing machine for a week.

Then, I heard a rumbling sound, deep in my throat. I made a noise! Accomplishment of the year!

"Was that-"