Chapter Two

It turns out that it was a bad idea. As soon as I stepped onto the porch my knees buckled and I fell onto the ground, hitting my head a few times. Will rushed forward, lifting me up as gently as he could and depositing me in the lawn chair.

"Thanks," I managed, giving them a faint smile. I gazed at the lush green hills of Camp Half-Blood. Will tapped my shoulder. I looked back at him. The confusion must have been evident on my face because he looked greatly amused.

I huffed, crossing my arms and tried to scowl. I failed. Will finally started laughing, Austin joining in soon after. Eventually I started laughing too. I laughed until my sides ached and I was gasping for breath. I brushed a tear- a happy tear, from the corner of my eye.

There was a puff of smoke and suddenly I looked the same age, if not a bit older than Will and Austin. Huh, I guess somewhere in my subconsciousness I felt safe enough to change back. I cleared my throat awkwardly, slowly shifting my weight until I was sitting at the edge of the chair.

"Uh, just... just get ready to catch me?" The two nodded, holding their hands out as if getting ready to catch a baseball. I leaned forwards and stood, stumbling. Austin and Will shot at me, ready to steady me if needed. I shook my head and waved them off, bracing myself against the railing of the porch.

I took a few deep breaths, gritting my teeth and walking along the rail. Will and Austin trailed behind me warily, as if scared that I would collapse again. I paused and took a deep breath, taking a moment to inspect myself. My skin had healed, leaving no trace of injury. It shone bronze in the sun, gleaming healthily. Of course that wasn't the real problem, oh no.

The problems weren't visible to mortal or godly eyes. Sure, the lightning had done some damage. I would be aching for days. But every time I stopped concentrating, the rasp of laughter filled my ears and drowned everything out. Python had wormed his way into my mind and soul, and if I wasn't careful, he would poison me from inside.

I took a rattling breath and managed to stand straight.

"Okay... I believe you owe me a tour?" Hearing that, Will cracked a smile and beckoned for me to follow.

I now stood in front of the Me Cabin, exhaustion weighing down heavily on my shoulders. But other than that, I felt okay! I opened the doors and stepped inside, taking the decor in. These demigods really decorated well. My demigod children were still doing sing along at the bonfire. I had retired early.

My divine bones popped as I stretched, flopping down onto the cot and staring at the ceiling. I mulled over Python's words. It couldn't be real, right? I had slayed him with my companion/former master. Panic bubbled up in my chest as a rasp filled the room.

The sound of hissing filled my ears. I whimpered and pulled up the blankets to cover me.
"I'm okay, I'm okay. I'm awesome and everybody loves me," I murmured under my breath, sighing in relief as the hissing subsided. I tossed and turned for a few more minutes before managing to fall asleep.

"Hyacinthus, let's see if you can beat me!" I called, suddenly in a meadow. I threw the discus, watching as it flew in a smooth arc and landing a few dozen yards away. Of course, if I wanted to, I could've sliced off the side of a mountain. But I was playing with Hyacinthus, my beloved. I felt no need to flaunt my strength.

Yet there was a pit of deep unease in my stomach. I shook it off and watched as Hyacinthus jogged around, picking up the discus. I wanted to scream at him to put it down, but my voice box closed up and I watched as he threw it.

The discus sailed smoothly, making its way to me when a gust of wind blew it back at Hyacinthus. I was too shocked to act, an anguished scream ripping itself out of my mouth as the discus hit Hyacinthus's head.