Chapter Three

Oh, the horrors. Oh, the injustice. I was forced to wake up early because Chiron wanted me to help teach archery. Alas, I couldn't even fake being asleep because the old centaur knew I never slept in. Being a sun god had its pros and cons.

I grumbled as I rolled out of the cot, willing my hair to be neat and a different set of clothes on my body. Normally I would be wearing some flashy outfit, but I decided a plain white t-shirt and jeans would do. I know, it's shocking. The god of the sun was wearing something plain.

I stepped outside and squinted as the light hit my eyes. Wow, that was bright. I blinked a few times to adjust to the light. I willed my bow and quiver onto my shoulder and sighed. Hopefully, today would be okay.
I jogged down to the archery field, ignoring a few shocked looks the campers threw at me. Of course they would be shocked. It's not every day that a major god decides to teach archery. Chiron was standing there in horse form. I crossed my arms and pouted.

"Chiron, you know I don't like waking up early," I complained, giving him a pointed stare.

"Well, yes, but I figured you'd be used to it. Besides, we need to talk," his good natured expression quickly morphed into something somber. My spirits crumbled along with his expression. He knew.

"Nico told you, didn't he?" My voice carried no anger.

"That and I saw it. Why don't you tell someone? Talk to someone." He looked at me oddly, and I thought I saw some pity.

"Oh Chiron..." I said softly. I paused, taking a deep breath before I continued, "I am not ready. I will talk when the whispers cease and the pain stops. If they don't... well, you'll be the first to outlive a major god."

"Apollo, you are my mentor. I will not have you fade! This is madness!" There was a desperate edge to his voice, and this was the first time I had seen him so worked up. The possibilities saddened me greatly, but there was nothing I could do.

"Chiron you have to understand. I cannot do anything about it. Whether I live or not cannot be up to me. If I cannot bear the burden, would it not be better for me to fade than to suffer?"

Chiron pursed his lips, his horse half skittish, "Apollo, please. You have to consider-"

I held up my hand to cut him off, watching as the Victory twins walked towards us.

"We'll talk about this later. Please don't tell anyone," I gave him a look that said, 'I won't be mad if you tell anyone, but I'd be much happier and there'll be a smaller chance of explosions if you do keep quiet.'

He got the message. I shot him an uneasy smile and strode towards the twins, putting on a mask of false confidence. Thus the lesson began.

Teaching is exhausting. Teaching is especially exhausting when you're teaching two competitive twins. I was mentally exhausted by dinner because they insisted that I spend the entire day with them. I hate teaching.

I was sitting at the Me table with my children, having kindly declined Chiron's invitation to sit at the honorary table. Dionysus wasn't here. When I asked Chiron, he said that Old Winebreath's punishment had been pardoned and he was spending all his time on Olympus now. I hadn't heard of that. How interesting.

We were served beef briskets and roast pork. Everyone ate ravenously. Me? Not so much. I wasn't hungry and there was a growing pit of unease in my stomach that made me feel like I was going to spew at any moment. Spew. Haha, what a funny word.

I paused in my eating and gazed into the forest beyond. I thought I saw a pair of large amber eyes staring at me, but I couldn't be sure. I frowned as hissing filled the air again. No one else seemed to hear.