Chapter 8

•••

•••

Irene was in the library of Forks high. She was in her free period. The brown-haired vampire didn't really have things to do so she wanted to advance in her homework. Of course, nothing was really hard since she already knew most of the things that she had to learn. She had also experienced some. World War II, Cold War, social changes, social movements, etc.

Irene stood up and walked towards the bookshelves to return the books she had. Looking around, she saw some people on their phones or working - probably - on computers. When she was still humans, when she had to do searches for her homework, she would always go to the library. Books were the only sources. Nowadays, with a simple click on the internet, you can find whatever you want. It was very useful and faster but Irene still used the old method. But of course, books can't always help you, so modern technology is needed. In those moments, Irene really notices all the changes between her time and the twenty-first century. Phones, flat TVs, cars, colourful photography and even in how people act. Times had really changed in seventy years. The things she was the proudest of was the fact women had more rights than during her time. They work, drive, do politic, are CEOs, etc. Women can finally express themselves, they can finally show what they are capable of. But of course, there are still a lot of things to achieve. We still hadn't reach equality.

"Lots in your thoughts?" someone said, making Irene snap back into reality. She had recognised the voice. She turned and face none other than Edward Cullen. Irene was kind of surprise to see him here. She didn't know that he, too, had a free period.

"Just rethinking about the past," Irene said, putting back a book on its shelves. She then walked to other shelves as Edward followed her. "What are you doing here, by the way?"

Since the Goodwin's were now helping the Cullen's to kill Victoria, Irene knew they would spend quite a lot of time together. Also, Tony seemed to get along well with the family. She was sure they would encounter a lot. Besides, Irene had to admit that she, too, was comfortable with the Cullen's.

"I don't have any classes right now so I figured I could come here," the Cullen answered. Irene smirked at what he said.

"You came because you didn't have any classes or you came because I was here and you wanted to try reading my thoughts?"

"Both?" Edward playfully smiled as Irene only chuckled.

"You will have access to my mind only if allow you to," she said as she put away another book.

"You're an enigma, a mystery," Edward observed, looking at Irene. The latter put away her last book as she slightly smiled. She then crossed her arms over her chest and leaned on the bookshelf, facing Edward. "I misjudged you when I first saw you. I apologise,"

"You don't have to, everyone does mistakes," she shrugged it off. "There's something I wanted to ask you," Irene said making Edward nodded, implying her to go ahead.