insane.

the room is dark, solid and cold. there are four walls, with a ceiling and the floor which is all covered in ash and burns.

my hair is all over my face, i'm tied down with a straight jacket. i can't do anything here. i have to sit in the very middle of the room, behaving.

i'm no longer royalty, i am just azula.

azula the insane.

i'm never truly lonely, she is always around. especially when she isn't wanted.

today she decided to visit.

"oh azula. why must you end up this way?" she sits beside me, observing my looks. i just ignore her. "you were always such a nice girl."

"a nice girl." i repeat. "that's why you thought i was a monster."

"a monster? what makes you think that! i love you."

"liar!" i quickly scoot to the side of the room. "you don't love me! you love zuko!"

"why of course i love zuko. he's my child, like you." she stands up and walks toward me. "i love you both just the same."

her words set up a rage inside me. "oh really! that's why you left! a true mother would never leave their child who needed them most!" i know sooner or later the guards will come in and she'll go away, she always does.

"azula i left to protect you-"

"no! you left because you don't love me! how could anyone love a monster! you're the monster! get away, get away!" blue fire emerges from my mouth, onto the ceiling. the room slowly catches to flames. she still stands.

"i love you."

she fades away as the guards appear, stopping the fire with water. there is a door in my cell, i can never find it. the guards rush out as fast as they came in, watching me cry in the corner like always.

and like always, she'll be back.