Chapter 7 - The Battle of Najaf

Authors note: I am very sorry about the long delay with publishing chapters. I have been very busy over the past weeks. I have been signing legal documents and I'm training in my powerboat. I'll try to find some time where I can publish more often. Thank you for understanding and your continued support!

Operation Iraqi Freedom

March 24th, Five days into the invasion

3rd Armoured Com., (Callsign: Anvil) 1st Armoured Bn., 64th Armoured Regiment

Brief context about the Battle of Najaf: The battalion's objective is once BCT 1 secures the northern point of Objective Jenkins, 1st Bn., will attack from the south and link up with Objective Floyd, effectively encircling the city.BCT 1 was overstretched and thus could only send an air defence unit. But later, 3rd Bn., 7th Infantry Regiment replaced the air defence unit as reinforcements. Things have gone for the worse because Iraqi sappers (combat engineers) blew the bridge and trapped three M1 Abrams tanks on the other side. However, after inspecting the bridge, it was concluded that the damaged bridge would hold one M1 Abrams tank at a time. The commander LTC Rock Marcone then sent the rest of the US forces across the bridge. The US forces came under vicious and suicidal Iraqi resistance. On the 27th, US forces finally took Objective Jenkins, isolating Najaf from the north. Three days previous on the 25th, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment attacked Objective Floyd. The fighting took place under a sandstorm which greatly reduced visibility. They reached the bridge after five hours of combat and it was discovered that it had not been detonated and Iraqi sappers had not rigged it with explosives. After crossing the bridge, 7th Cavalry sent Troops A and B north to secure a dam and bridge and to set up blocking positions to further isolate Najaf however, this group became under attack by hundreds of Iraqi gunmen. At the same, Troop C securing the bridge around Objective Floyd was under heavy attack by Iraqi forces. However, they were aided by CAS strikes and B-1B Lancer bombers dropping JDAMs. Two Iraqi T-72s were destroyed by air support. When B Troop was advancing, it was ambushed by close range. During this fight, two M1 Abrams tanks and one M3 Bradley were destroyed by ATGMs. Fortunately, all the crew survived due to the blow-out panel mechanism.

000

After storming the airport (seen in the previous chapter), the soldiers would mount an offensive to take the city of Najaf. But that was in due time, the soldiers were most concerned about resting up for the assault. Outlaw-2 was placed on watch duty as the other soldiers rested. However, their gunner Sgt. John Perkins noticed something suspicious.

"Woah, what are all those lights?"

He spotted at least a hundred distant lights about ten kilometres away. Sgt. Perkins grabbed his binoculars and looked through. The image was grainy, but it still showed lights in the desert. He then started counting as another soldier noticed them.

"Fuck, are those tanks?!" SSgt. Harold Reed exclaimed.

"One hundred and twenty, give or take," Sgt. Perkins replied.

"Hey, Ryan! Check this out!" SSgt. Reed said.

Sgt. Kevin Ryan quickly ran over and was also shocked at the sight of the lights.

"Are they moving?" Sgt. Ryan asked.

"Dunno," Sgt. Perkins responded.

"Let's wait ten more mikes before telling Captain Buckley?" Sgt. Perkins suggested.

Five minutes passed and the lights have appeared to move closer. Then, Lt. Daniel Tyler saw the men and the lights. He was concerned as well. They then sat in silence trying to see if the group of lights were coming closer.