Part Twenty-Seven

The Moon festival had been busy. Although I had aimed to spend most of the evening with Avery, I did have to speak to several partners of the Starling Empire, but that wasn't all too bad. Rumour had it that most of the bandits had been defeated, now, and very few remained. Our empire was safe. Well, it was almost safe. We still had to change Andreas' opinion on our goals to unite the empires. He still was unconvinced that this was the way forward for Wingacre. However, the only way that anything could improve would be if it changed. I had already begun to change several of the empire's rules, especially as far as money and freedoms for people were concerned. Even so, this conflict between the empires remained. 

I didn't want children to go to school and learn to hate their neighbours, the people that were supposed to be their friends. I wanted children to be educated on the wars that had happened between the empires, but also how they had ultimately made us stronger in the end. I felt that was one of the most important things I could achieve. A good quality education for all of the children of Wingacre was essential, but promoting values of compassion was even more important. 

Andreas and Alecia unfortunately hadn't been at the Moon festival, despite how busy it had been. Even though Avery had attended, I supposed the both of them were still rooted in their dislike for the empire. Then again, they weren't the only ones. My father could still be heard grumbling away about the Sparrow Empire when I visited his office. Nevertheless, I just continued to try to assure him that we needed to begin to try to work for peace between the two empires. This was particularly the case now that I was friends with Avery. I didn't want anything to get in the way of that. 

My close friendship with Avery had been one of the key reasons behind me working so hard for this union between the empires in the first place. She had taught me to challenge the ideals of the empire that I had grown up in. She had challenged my ideas about what a perfect future could look like for me, too. Now, I couldn't imagine a life without Avery in it. She had changed everything. I would stand by her side for as long as she stood by mine. 

When I heard a knock at the door, I placed my book down and went to answer my bedroom door to find my father standing there. 

"Hi dad," I greeted him. 

"Hello Haven. How are you doing?" he asked me. 

I really had missed my father. After my mother's passing he really had become one of my best friends. I knew that some people might think it strange for me to be my father's best friend, but I thought that just proved how strong the bonds of my family were. 

"I'm alright, father. How are you? You look healthier," I said. 

My father had been sleeping more now, thanks to the recommendation of doctor Haven. 

"I am well, Haven. Haven, I've been doing some thinking," Harold said. 

"What have you been thinking?" I wondered. 

"I've been thinking that I would like to change the history education system for the children of the Starling Empire. I erased so much of what really happened in that war because I had been so heartbroken after the passing of your mother but...the children of this empire deserve to know what really happened. I've realised recently that losing something doesn't make you weaker, it just shows you where you can begin to change for the better," my father said. 

I felt my eyes well up then. 

"I-" my father began to say. 

I just threw my arms around him at his words. 

"I'm so proud of you, father. I love you so much," I said. 

After we had drawn back from the hug, my father just smiled at me.