Chapter 23:Complications:Siku:Two Years Later

It had been two years since Siku bonded with Snowdrift.
After the first year Snowdrift had grown to be five feet tall and fifteen feet long. She could no longer fit underneath his bed. He had to go out to a nearby cliff for her to stay at; the cliff was about five miles from the village, almost as far away as Suka's Ice Palace.
He hated being so far away from her and he could tell she hated it too. But it was the only way to keep her safe now that she was six feet tall and eighteen feet long, big enough to hunt and defend herself very well.
He had also been practicing his cryokinesis ability with Snowdrift a few days a week, and he now had very good control over it. He still had ice burst outs when he became very emotional, but other than that he mostly kept it in check.
He wished he could go more often but walking ten miles every single night would slowly start to take its toll on him, even if he was physically in better condition than the majority of the kids around his age.
It was currently the middle of the night at the moment, and he was still up thinking about the empty space in his heart and mind where Snowdrift usually filled it with her presence whenever he was around her.
Then out of nowhere he heard a soft flapping noise.
He sat up quietly, careful not to wake up his five year old brother, Hanta, who was quietly snoring in the other bed.
He scanned the dark room for the source of the flapping, and out of the darkness came a snowy white owl, like the one that appeared to him on the day he found out the Riders knew about him; they were going to send him another letter when it was a fortnight when he must leave for the southern coast of Arctica, the coast across from the Northern Euran coast.
The owl landed next to him, and waited for him to take off the small scroll case tied to its leg.
   He leaned over to the owl and untied the case, and the owl flew off without a second thought.
   He watched the white of its tail disappear through the door way.
   After the owl was gone, he turned his attention back to the leather scroll case in his hands.
   He undid the leather straps holding the lid shut, and he pulled out the rolled up parchment with Dragon Rider seal on it; over the past two years his grandmother taught him how to read and write. He looked at the parchment for a while; he still had trouble depicting the runes on the parchment.
The message said:
Dear Siku,
I want you to meet one of my Riders on the shore of Arctica, the village of Sermersooq where Atiqalaaq and Icestorm bravely defended it from Conquerors. I hope you know it because it is where you must be in tow weed form now. From there another Rider will escort you to the Dragon Rider base. Come prepared. Bring whatever belongings you want because you will not see your family for awhile.
Sincerely, Anaba, Leader                          of the Erdas Dragon Riders

His heart skipped a beat.
   He was going to the Dragon Rider base in two weeks.
   He needed to tell Snowdrift but there was no way he could get to her and get back home before morning.
   He would have to tell get in the morning when his father was leaving for the annual meeting between the three northern chiefs of Arctica.
   Putting the scroll back in the scroll case, he put it under his bed, and he pulled the covers up, and fell asleep.

   When it was morning, he got up, and went into the kitchen to eat breakfast.
   "Mother I'm going to grandmother's today." He said simply to his mother at the table.
   His mother and siblings were the only ones at the table, since his father already left earlier this morning for the meeting with Chief Tuktu and Chief Ujurak.
   His mother looked up from her breakfast, and looked at him with her startling, brilliant dark blue eyes.
   "Very well. Be respectful to your grandmother."
   "Thank you mother." He thanked his mother.
   "Why are you always going over to granny's?" Hanta asked with his mouth full, so it was hard to hear what he said.
   Out of the corner of his eye he saw Korra, who was now three, putting the parts of her breakfast she didn't want on Sokka's plate; they were mostly the stringy, slimy parts of the meat.
   "To get away from you." He replied back rudely.
  "You might go crazy like her since you spend so much time around her."
   "At least I'm not already crazy."
   Hanta was about to say something back when their mother interrupted him.
   "That is enough!" She yelled at them, clearly angry with how they had been talking to one another; their father would have beat them senseless for talking rudely about their grandmother.
   When their mother raised her voice, it surprised Siku and Hanta both. He had never heard his mother yelled at them before. Even Nuniq was surprised because she stopped putting her nasty meat on Hanta's plate, and stared at their mother with surprise in her eyes. She clearly never thought their mother would yell at them either.
   "All of you finish your breakfast and then go to your rooms. Siku you may go to your grandmother's, but I expect you to be back before dinner. If not there will be consequences." His mother said to them all in a angry sounding voice, still angry at them for earlier.
    He felt bad for agitating his mother as he made his way to his grandmother's.