Chapter Nineteen

Zeno

Sitting on my bed, I stare at the folded shirt on my bed. I bought a large white and blue tie-dyed shirt with flowers embroidered in the center with Sera and Jade's help. I furrow my eyebrows the longer I stare at it, pondering to myself if what I chose was alright.

"Will this be creepy at all? Ayako doesn't seem like she would be weirded out if I offered a surprise gift to her, she's outgoing like Maika..."

I shake my head and arms to rid myself of any nerves. Someone at my door knocks and opens the door slightly, peeking their head in. "Zeno, what're you doing?" My mom asks.

"I'm contemplating my future," I bluntly respond and she giggles while covering her mouth.

"Well, while you do that, come eat some fruit, I just cut some," She offers and then closes the door.

I put the shirt in a plain gift bag and head to the kitchen. My parents and grandparents sit at the table eating and reading on their phones and newspapers. I join them and sigh while setting the bag down on the table and pick up a toothpick to use to eat the freshly cut melon.

"What's got you weird," My dad asks.

"I accidentally spilled my drink on Maika's old friend yesterday; she's the one who I went to her house to teach," I explain.

"Ah, so you got yourself into some trouble, huh? Did she get mad at you?"

"She said it was fine but I still feel bad. Sera said I should buy her a new shirt so on my way back home last night, I stopped to get her one but now I'm second-guessing myself,"

My mom puts down her phone to give her two cents to the conversation. "Aw, that's so considerate of you. Look, ma, I raised Zeno well, didn't I?" She asks my grandma who snickers.

"Well for being a ballet dancer, I thought he would be more coordinated and not spill a drink on someone. But yes, you raised him alright,"

"Ma!" My mom stands up and I shake my head.

"No, no, she's right, I was being too careless and unaware. But do you think it'll be okay for me to just show up at her house and give her a shirt?" I inquire.

My mom sits back down and nods. "You should, Zeno; you've been there before so it won't seem like you're stalking her of anything and it'll be a nice surprise. If she doesn't accept it, then just leave it at that and I'll take the shirt," My mom gives a cheeky grin and I scoff and smile back.

"Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll go give it to her now," I head towards the door, put on my shoes, and then leave to go to the bus stop.

I take out my phone to call Maika to confirm where Ayako lives but then stop for a second. "... Should I just try to figure it out on my own...? No, I need to talk to her casually as a friend, I can't avoid her, that wouldn't be right,"

I press on Maika's contact and the phone begins to call her. A couple of seconds later, she picks up and says, "Hello?"

"Hey, Maika, I have a question,"

"What is it?"

"Can you send me Ayako's address? I got something for her to make it up for spilling my drink on her," I explain.