Patched Up

I clutched my side with a freshly torn surface, gasping in pain as the blood gushed out of me. Loba swung her staff and busted his skull. I don't know if he'd survive that blow. With each member of the unwanted visitors out cold, we finally had a moment to try and catch our breath. But my vision was starting to blur and the sounds around me became muffled.

"Hey hey hey stay with me" she caught my head before it fell to the ground, "hold on, you'll be fine I just need you to stay awake." 

She attached a chip to my wrist, activated it and tossed her bracelet down the hill. We re-materialized at the bottom and Loba propped me up against her, wrapping my arm over her shoulder. The steps in front of me became harder to see and my head was starting to spin. She managed to drag me all the way to our lodging and Wraith was already at the door with bandages.

"What happened?" She was direct but concern tinted the question. 

"Those men from the dinner hall figured out who Hawk was and I guess didn't like them." Loba explained as she set me down on my bed and began helping my shirt off.

Under different circumstances I might have started blushing but I was a little distracted at the moment. Her hands moved swiftly and Renee dabbed alcohol on a cloth and handed it to Loba. I braced for the pain but still took a sharp breath as the chemicals burned the infected areas. After most the blood was cleaned up she fastened a bandage around my torso, effectively stopping the bleeding. Wraith waited in anticipation, not wanting to crowd me and inhibit Loba's work.

"Go find Bloodhound Renee" I was breathless but regaining my senses slowly. She looked at me hesitant to go, "Please" and with that final push she went, leaving me and Loba alone as she cleaned up the rags and supplies strewn all over my bed. 

I had regained my composure and could feel my cheeks burning at remembering I'm still shirtless. She didn't say anything as she finished putting away the supplies but I broke the silence.

"Thank you Loba" she didn't turn to look at me.

"It was nothing, anyone else would have done the same-" she started but I wanted her to realize my gratitude.

"How did you know though?" I stared at her as she walked over to sit on her bed.

"I saw them staring at you the whole time at dinner and after you left they took off shortly after. I figured that meant trouble, so I followed them following you." She was still not meeting my gaze, taking off her combat pumps.

"How much did you hear?" I was afraid of the answer to come.

"Probably more than you'd like me to know." Her amber eyes came up to mine almost in apology. Those eyes flickered over my body and I saw her cheeks dust pink and could feel the blood rushing through mine.

Just then Renee returned with Bloodhound and the Leader.

"Are you alright Hawk?" Bloodhound stepped towards my bed, perhaps assessing my bandages trying to judge the severity of the wound. 

"Yes I am, thanks to Loba" I glanced over to her and her pink cheeks turned red. 

The other man spoke up, "We heard the shot and found Barin , who we assume fired the gun, and three others. Where there any more?" he asked and sounded ashamed this misfortune fell upon his welcomed guests.

"No, those four are all that were there." I felt relieved to know they weren't on the loose, plotting when to finish their vendetta.

"Good, then we have all accounted for. I do apologize for their actions against you" his hand extended up to his side and he bowed his head slightly to accentuate the apology but left before I could respond.

"I understand if you do not feel well enough to join us on the hunt tomorrow morn" Bloodhound picked up where the man left off. 

"No I think I'll be okay, I didn't loose too much blood" I tried to sound confident so I could get these staring eyes off of me.

"The gods have blessed you. You all should take your rest, for tomorrow is to be a long journey." They then stood up, nodded a farewell, and left the room. 

Renee turned the attention back to me, "are you sure Hawk? That scratch looked a little deeper than a p20 bite."

I laughed at the joke but understood her concern, "I'll be fine Renee" and I mustered up a smile to go with it. She looked at me skeptically then decided I'm smart enough not to get myself killed. 

I went into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. Looking in the mirror I could tell why Renee was worried. My face was slightly pale, scraps along my arms, and I could see a bruise bigger than my fist already forming halfway under my bandages. I changed my clothes, trying not to grunt too loud with every extending of an arm, putting on a slightly bigger t-shirt and comfortable shorts. When I walked out Loba was patiently waiting by the door.

"Oh I'm sorry, you shoulda knocked, I could have been faster" I don't know how she makes me so nervous.

"It's alright, I wasn't waiting long" and I stepped out of the way for her, probably staring a little too long.

I looked back in front of me to see Renee with a cheeky smile and she bounced her eyebrows. I sent her a playful glare and she laughed, turning over on her bed in the covers. I dimmed out the lanterns that lit the room but left one still on and set it on the table close to Loba's bed. I climbed under my blankets and carefully situated myself within. Usually I sleep on my side but that particular side had a bullet wound through it. I shifted to the other now facing Loba's bed and didn't feel too uncomfortable.

She came out of the bathroom, now in a t-shirt and shorts like the first night when she had visited me. She took the lantern and placed it on the nightstand by her bed, climbed in, and started to put out the flame. Her eye's glanced to mine that were shamelessly staring again, but instead of looking away I smiled. She smiled back, it looked sweet and sincere, then she put out the light.