8 | Rejection and Dejection

The next morning, Anay had to rush to office. He had no time to think about the previous night. Salil had messaged a reminder to be on time for the meeting with Sen. He showered without soap and threw shirt and trousers on himself and got out of the house. On the way he thought about how he'd spend one more night alone in the apartment, but he pushed that thought for later. He had the difficult day to get through first.

The way it turned out; it wasn't a meeting to be proud of.

Everything had been done regarding the ad. Each input from Sen and his team had been incorporated. The creative team at Changemakers had been making sure the entire week to ensure that nothing that Sen wanted was left out. Salil did not want the balance payment to be pushed on to the next month. His express instruction to "close the fucking thing" had only served to put extra pressure on everyone.

Sen wasn't pleased. At least, not entirely. He reiterated the point he had been making since Day One. "I want something that will blow people's socks away. Something that will make them stop going to the loo during the ad break and sit up and take notice." And now he just sat there shaking his head. "It has not turned out the way I was promised," he said, looking directly at Anay across the table where the entire creative team was in attendance.

"Give us another week, sir," Anay said quickly. "One more week and we'll bring you the ad exactly as you see it."

"A week it is then," said Sen, standing up. "But only a week. I want the ad up before the product gets outdated. Just like human foods have fads, cat foods do too."

When Sen left, Anay crashed into his chair, deep in thought. Salil said, "Is there anything bothering you, Anay?"

"Not at all, sir," Anay said too quickly.

"Look at me, boy. You are here to work and make a name for yourself. A lot of eyes are on you. Everything depends on what steps you take here. You have a wonderful break at Changemakers, and I love you, but I can do only so much. The list of eager young men looking for similar breaks is too long, as you know."

With that not so veiled threat, Salil left the room. That was when Anay broke down and cursed the terrible turn his life was taking.

***

The only good thing about the day was that Shanaya called in the evening after leaving office. Anay quickly mended his disposition and they hopped over to The Bandana for dinner.

"Did you get a chance to talk to your boss?" she asked when they were done with their first round of beers.

"About?"

"About the job, Anay..."

"Oh, I will soon," he said and peered into his glass.

"My sleazy boss has started asking me to stay back at the office after everyone leaves. I have been making one excuse or the other so far. But one of these days..."

"He's an asshole," said Anay, flaring up. "Why don't you change your job and find something else?"

"I am looking, Anay. Apart from asking you, I have applied to a few other places too. But, you know, it will be special pleasure to work alongside you."

"I have no doubt of that." Anay attempted to smile. "I shall look forward to that day. We are currently busy with a difficult assignment. It has become a thorn in our side. My initial thought was to rope you in on this project, but it's not a good idea. Once I do this well, I shall have some negotiating power with my boss and get you in for sure."

There was silence for a while. Then she said, "I don't want you to think I am pestering you, okay? Please don't think I am meeting you only for a job."