Bryce-Chapter 2

As soon as Juli waved back at me, I was filled with this inexplicable happiness.

Her waving meant that she didn't hate me anymore.
Her waving meant that there was a slight chance that she was going to forgive me.

As soon as she began walking towards my house, I had a weird feeling at the pit of my stomach; it was like butterflies were doing the tango in my stomach - in a good way.

I checked my shirt and rubbed off the dirt stains from my clothes.

-------×---------
A couple of hours earlier....

After trying different ways on how to talk to Juli, I went to my room and brainstormed an idea to show Juli how much she meant to me.

If there was one thing that Juli loved more than anything......
I slapped myself on the forehead.
Oh man, I couldn't believe I didn't think of it before.

I went to a local farm with my grandfather and bought a sycamore sapling.
Then, I went to the Baker's house and pounded on the door with all my might. I decided that I wasn't going to leave until they opened it.

The door swung open to reveal Mr. Baker.

" Are you trying to break the door, son?" I tilted my head up to see Mr. Baker raising an eyebrow at me.

" No, Mr. Baker," I replied sheepishly, the courage that I had seconds ago quickly evaporated.

Mr. Baker was a big sturdy man. He scared the hell out of me.

" Then the reason must be good enough," He folded his arms as he stood tall appearing even more intimidating than before.

" I was wondering if you would give me permission to plant a sapling in your yard, sir," I replied in a neutral tone as if I were addressing an officer.

" I don't think that is my permission to give, Bryce," He said sternly.

" She doesn't want to talk to me, sir. Please, sir. If you could just give me a chance," I begged, the desperation seeping into my voice.

Minutes ticked by but it felt like hours when finally Mr. Baker smiled as he said.

" Help yourself with the equipment in the backyard. Do you need a hand?"

" No, sir."

I didn't want to seem rude but I needed to do this by myself. So, I said,

" Thank you, Mr. Baker," I nodded.

As I began making a hole in the yard, I peeked a glance at the window near the door to see Juli looking at me furiously.

I wanted to smile at her but instead nodded to show how important this was to me.

After planting the sapling, watering it, I cleaned the remaining mess and went back home.
------×-------

I ran to the hallway to open the door before she knocked and behold there she was. Her eyes, her face... She looked perfect.

She was the first to speak.

Thank you for planting the tree."
I scanned her face for any sign of forgiveness but it was like she was restraining herself from smiling.

That's wasn't good.

" Well, I know how much it meant to you and I wanted you to know how sorry I am, Juli. For everything. I was a jerk to you. I'm sorry."

And I genuinely meant it.

She looked as if she were in deep contemplation. I tried eyeing her but she was staring straight ahead.

" You hurt me. You embarrassed me in front of your friends. Did you think that planting a sycamore tree was going to make me forgive you?" She said, her voice laced with anger and hurt.

It was then when my heart broke into a million pieces. It wasn't that Juli was angry or that I had betrayed her.
What hurt the most was how I treated her all these years. I was a terrible person.
Why should she forgive me?

My father wouldn't have been so happy if he found out that I was being this emotional.

" It's not enough. I know. But...I promise you that it will never happen again. Cross my heart and hope to die," I said fiercely as I traced an X  across my chest.

" Cross my heart and hope to die?"
She slightly smiled and it gave me a little hope that our friendship was not over before it had even truly begun.

" I'm sorry. I'm not good at this stuff," I admitted.

" It's ok. I forgive you," She grinned.

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding. I smiled so wide that if I had kept an orange peel inside my mouth, it would have fit perfectly.

I knew that it wasn't enough. I didn't know when she would ever entirely forgive me. But I made a promise that I would do whatever it takes to make her trust me again.

" Do you want to umm," I scratched my head," hang out?"

" What do you want to do?"

" Ride our bikes around the neighbourhood?" I suggested.

" Sure. I would love to do that."
Her smile was so bright that I felt that I could live my entire life off that smile.

We got on our bikes and rode them for such a long time that our legs ached.

We talked about how we would be in high school by the time the sycamore tree would fully grow.
We talked about our hopes and dreams.
We talked about Matt and Mark's music and how it was going to change the world.

And the whole time, I couldn't help thinking that there was no place else I'd rather be than with Juli.

But reality came knocking at the door when my mom started shouting my name for dinner.
I checked my watch. 7:00 glared back at me.

" Woah, I didn't realise that time had gone by so fast. I got to go or else my mom will throw a fit."

" I got to go too. Mum's making her special."

" See you tomorrow?" I asked hopefully.

" See you then."

She smiled as we departed to our homes, which stood on either side of the road, facing each other.

I walked into my house to find my family already at the table. Mom was serving dinner while Dad was talking to Lynetta about something. Grandad was complimenting my mother about the food.

As soon as the door behind me closed, my mom called out.

" Bryce honey, is that you?"

" Yes, mom," I hollered as I removed my shoes.
I entered the dining room and everybody's attention turned to me.

" Where have you been, son?' My dad said as he stabbed the steak with his fork.

" Oh, I was riding my bike and lost track of time," I said as I silently hoped that my dad didn't see me outside the house with Juli. It was one thing to hate the Bakers but hanging out with Juli would have probably crossed the line for my dad.

Matt and Mark are Juli's elder brothers. And they are musicians. But you would have already guessed that part.
Duh. I can be so stupid sometimes.
Bryce's dad is someone who considers himself as superior to the Bakers because they're wealthier or whatever. So, he's never really liked them which is why Bryce is hesitant in telling his dad about his friendship with Juli.
So, yeah.....
ONWARD!
Still don't know why I said that.