Juli-Chapter 9

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
-Helen Keller

" Patsy, you should come to the next meeting. I promise you that it will be an experience you never had," I insisted for possibly the hundredth time this month.

" I know it will be......" Her voice trailed off.
I was slowly beginning to smile when she shook her head.
" No. I can't. I just..I don't have the time between my shifts and taking care of the house."

" You realise that it's held during the weekend, right?" I deadpanned.
Why was she so hell-bent on not going?

" Patsy, dear. Listen to Juli and go. If anything comes up, I'll see to it," Bryce's grandfather Chet said from the living room.

" I don't want it to be a burden for you, Pops," She said as she pulled the tray from the oven, the sweet aroma making my stomach grumble.

" I think I am old enough to take care of a house," Chet chuckled.

Just then, the door creaked open and closed with a large slam.

" Bryce, is that you, honey?" Patsy called out in a loud voice.

" Yes, mother!" Bryce called out.
I walked up to him to find him removing his woollen sweater.
October month was passing by with the cold just starting to settling in.
I walked over to him, wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him.
He smelled like freshly baked cookies and coffee.
My favourite.

" And how did my boyfriend's first shift at the cafe go?"

" I don't know. Great? Why do you keep asking as if it's like the greatest job in the world? If it were being Batman's sidekick, now that would be the something."

" It's important to me. So, who was your first customer?"
Suddenly, his face froze as his expression turned to horror. He stopped giving me eye contact.

His head swivelled to the kitchen as he sniffed the air.

" Is that what I think I smell?" He said as he walked towards it.
Confused with his reaction, I followed him.
Patsy was adding dollops of cream to the tray.
" Blueberry pie? I love you guys!!!" Bryce said.
He immediately grabbed a fork from the utensil drawer and was about to take a bite when Patsy swatted his arms.

" Let it cool, mister," She said in a warning tone.

" Bryce, who was your first customer?" I enunciated in a slightly suspicious tone.