the Child of the Sun: II

A curse upon them by a passing goddess who had been refused help by a long dead concubine, had cursed those vines to grow beautiful, bewitching flowers with precious gems in the centers. 

Lulled into a sense of false security, they would draw close to pluck those gems, and gather them, uncontrollably. Then, overnight, they would vanish. 

Causing chaos as they scrambled to find more of them, and finding none- and seeing a tiny sparkle over a cliff's edge- Many died, until the day came that death was pushed aside, and the curse faded to a harmless amount. 

The goddess having ascended back into the clouds, and instead, they would bring upon a rash for those of impure thoughts, lasting for weeks. Like Jennette. 

Exactly like Jennette.

It's barely midday, and Athanasia could see through the old moon gate with flowers covering the worn stones in a tidal pattern. 

A pine forest covering the grounds and little pockets of fairy circles here and there alongside the little sprouting clover and peppermint plants that waved hello in the light breeze.

Their light minty scent helping refresh Athanasia as her mana sped through the trees, making the branches give way to a hidden path.

Their old roots were older than most countries, and they reached into the earth, grasping at dirt and mana veins of magic crystals that pumped through their branches

Their leaves, even the smallest of plants, when one gave it a whiff, gave off the scent of pure magic. 

Athanasia's fingers brush by their wide trunks as she steps carefully around certain stone markers, little waving bluebells on their stems as she laughs.

She checks behind her, nothing to be seen except for the welcoming flowers, and finds a bloodroot in the corner of the peaceful scenery, whose white petals are dyed in shades of charcoal. Her natural smile tips crookedly. 

Being alone with Jennette, just the two of them, without even a person nearby as witness, didn't give her the best of assurances, but her hand rubs the ring that glows on her finger. 

She was not alone. She was never really alone- not with him beside her along the way.

Only the thinnest of linen dresses and woven sandals on her feet that climbed up her calves, she passed through the gate and she could feel herself take in the sight of the churning ocean waves, and...and the sense that she had followed her out to the place. 

"I suppose now would be a good time to show her that." Athanasia's smile could topple cities.

Jennette had followed Athanasia on a whim, and found herself over a large open sea, Athanasia framed by the grotto that overlooked the ocean. Jennette scratched at the rash on her arms, digging into her skin as she did so, unable to be rid of the undying itch as it reddened.