Chapter Ten

~Winters POV~

She was sleeping. Finally.

She had been so furious, so angry with me that I would risk our cover, and endanger our escape, by taking her to a small doctors.

It wasn't a hospital. Just a small day centre where anyone off the street could wander in and ask for a consultation. I spoke no Italian, but the nurse could manage some words of English and explained Amelies ankle was swollen and she needed rest.

I stirred the pot of tea, and waited for her to wake up.

But she looked so peaceful on the sofa. The blankets were draped over her body, her knotted and tangled hair sprawled over the pillows I had laid on the end.

Her foot hung over the arm of the chair, covered in a cooling gel and wrapped in layers of cloth.

And she looked perfect.

Broken, lost, confused, peaceful... and perfect.

My ring was still adorning her finger, her light snoring snuffling as she wiggled around the makeshift bed, an odd burp sound escaping as she yanked the blankets back over her body.

The epitome of human. Full of noises and sounds, looks and curves, and happiness.

An ache lingered in my chest as I watched her.

We had limped from the surgery, and walked towards a thick wood. Buried along the edge were a row of small bungalows, the old stone and patterned doors arranged in such a way that attracted the elderly.

An ageing woman had peered out a window and enquired if we were her new neighbours. Amelie, in perfect Italian, had replied that we were, before we hurried inside.

I broke a lock, and carefully screwed the door shut from the inside, before Amelie panicked that we were breaking yet another law.

There was a laptop sat in the kitchen, and after Amelie translated the WiFi feature and login details, I had changed the language back to English, and removed all future enquirers of the 'For sale' home that it was off the market.

I deleted all contacts, forwarded messages to the middle man company that was selling the property, and told them the original sellers had taken it off the market. It was fairly easy to complete, and as it turned out, this house was one of 150 they owned - it was unlikely anyone would find us a problem when there were issues with the others.

Amelie had asked what I meant by that. I'd told her not to worry. Viruses and hacks were unfortunate to happen, but they did happen - there would be no suspicion pointed to us that we just so happened to be the ones that caused them.

She had scolded me, before limping around the house. The bathroom was in good shape, but the bedroom was in the process of a renovation.

Meaning there was no bed.

So I made one on the sofa, laid Amelie to sleep and stroked her back till she drifted off, then set about making a plan. We only needed to stay here for a few weeks before HYDRA would find us and threaten to kill her.

So we needed to move quickly.

But not whilst Amelie was still in pain.

I poured a mug of tea, and waited for it to cool slowly. Teabags, bread, milk and cheese were provided already - maybe the decorators had been using them - but I had cancelled their services so I knew we would need to visit a shop.

And also get some Euro's. I wouldn't be able to trade with American dollars over here.

Amelie squeaked, and her head lifted blearily from the pillows. "You didn't sleep with me." Her lips were a tired pout as she blinked, frowning at me across the room. "You said you would stay."