From Bad to Worse

The end of the term was fast approaching, and along with it came the O.W.L exams for fifth-year students. Spread out over two weeks were all of the O.W.L exams, and then two days to rest and recuperate before the students were sent home for summer. There was only a week left before the exams started. The Marauders were fitfully cramming before their exams, but none so much as Valerie.
"Do you sleep at all anymore?" Remus asked with an amused smirk playing on his lips. The boys were watching Valerie pace back and forth in front of the fireplace, her fingers twitching at her sides while her lips moved in silence with whatever she was going over in her mind.
"Sure, I have a nap scheduled for a week from next Tuesday." She said it in such an offhand manner that the boys couldn't tell if she was serious. Remus was beginning to worry about her. She hadn't eaten breakfast for at least two weeks, barely ate lunch, and picked at her dinners. She also never slept. She was losing weight and she always had a steaming cup of coffee in her hands.
"Val, you do know you don't have to study, right? You know all of these things better than some seventh years. You're gonna do fine." Sirius told her, looking slightly annoyed. He couldn't help but feel a little jealous of her utter brilliance, and he wasn't the only one.
"Sirius, what if I blank on the day of the test? Huh? I have to have most of it memorized in case that happens."
"You aren't even using books to study so what are you memorizing?" he shot back.
"I... already kind of know it, I guess. I just need to make absolutely sure that I know it." She looked a little embarrassed as she went back to her pacing.
The Marauders studied this way all day. By nightfall, the boys were drifting in and out of sleep while Val still paced back and forth.
Remus sat up and watched her pace for a moment before speaking, "You know you're going to wear holes right through the floor if you keep this up?" He laughed, and so did she.
"I know. I was just going to get a fresh cup of coffee and, you know, give the floor a rest," she grabbed her mug and headed out of the portrait hole in the direction of the kitchens. Remus pulled out the map and watched her walk away.
"You know that's really stalker-ish," James said, making Remus jump. Sirius sat up, too. Remus rolled his eyes and looked back down at the map, before doing a double-take. "Margaret. Margaret Windfall. She's here. She's here for Valerie! She's in one of the old empty classrooms down by the kitchen." All of the color drained from Remus's face, and the boys jumped out of their seats. Remus set off at a run for the door, James and Sirius on his heels. "Sirius go get help. McGonagall or someone. I'm going with Remus. I have to go make sure he isn't going to go to Azkaban for murder anytime soon." With that, James took off after Remus.

As Valerie made her way down to the kitchens to get more coffee, her mind was on a million things, but none of them being her birth mother. Suddenly a hand reached out from an empty classroom and grabbed her by the shoulder, pulling her inside.
"Hello, Darling. I think we're a bit overdue for a chat," a nasty voice drawled.
"M-mother. You— how did you find me?"
"Oh, I had a little help. Apparently, a boy named Peter used to be quite close to you and your little... group." That last word was laced with venom. "Oh, yes, I know about your little half-breed friend. I'll deal with him as soon as I'm done with you." She gave a sickly sweet smile.

"CRUCIO" Val's mother shrieked without warning. Val screamed and fell to the floor. The pain felt as though ice picks were being driven into her skull. As soon as it had started, it stopped. "INCARCEROUS," yelled Val's mother. Ropes wound themselves around Val's arms, abdomen, and legs, tying her together. "INCENDIO," Mrs. Windfall's voice was reaching fever pitch, and her laughter was maniacal. The ropes tying Val together burst into flames. Valerie howled as spots danced at the edges of her vision. The white-hot pain spread as new scars were seared into her body. Margaret used her wand to tighten the ropes around Val. Val's vision swam as tears ran down her face. She didn't think she would be able to survive this for much longer.
At that moment, the door to the classroom burst open and Remus ran in, followed quickly by James.
"STOP!" Remus bellowed. The flames faltered and the ropes vanished. Valerie tried to pull herself out of the way, but she was too weak. Remus and James jumped between her and her mother.
"I'm here for Madison, not you. All you have to do is stand out of the way, and you won't be hurt." Val's mother crooned softly to the two boys.
"Over my dead body," Remus snarled and drew his wand. James followed suit.
"Well then, it's your choice," Margaret said and hit Remus with a curse that left a stinging slice on the side of his face.
"No, just let her at me. Please don't let her hurt you, please," Val croaked.
"Don't be absurd. Help is on the way, Val. Please just hold on." James muttered back to her, as they tried to shield her from her mother. After about ten minutes of furious dueling, and injuries on both sides, voices could be heard in the hall. Margaret turned and ran out a small door on the side of the room.
Sirius, McGonagall, and Dumbledore burst into the room and took in the scene. Remus and James knelt beside a burned and broken body. Sirius gasped and ran over to them.
"Oh my god, please tell me she isn't dead. Please, please, please," he said.
"She's not dead yet but she needs to go to the hospital wing, and fast," James replied. Remus couldn't even speak. He just grabbed onto her hand and gently rubbed it with his thumb. Valerie's eyelids fluttered open, and she murmured something.
"What did you say, Val? Say it again," Remus coaxed gently.
"P...Peter. Peter told my mother everything," she managed to get out before her limbs fell heavy and her eyelids closed, as she lost all consciousness.
"THAT BASTARD," Remus was on his feet in an instant, ready to go hunt Peter down. James restrained him, and McGonagall gave him a sharp look.
"Minerva, if you and these young men would follow me to the hospital wing, it seems that Miss Fremont needs immediate medical attention," Dumbledore said and promptly levitated Valerie to the hospital wing. As soon as he had gotten her into the hospital bed, he turned to McGonagall. "I am going to rouse the other professors and search the castle high and low for Mrs. Windfall. Until the end of the term, all of the staff will have to be on high alert." At that, he swept out of the room, looking grim.
After Madam Pomfrey deemed that Val was going to be alright, she shooed them out into the hall so she could help Val.
In the hall, McGonagall was waiting to question the boys. "I demand to know exactly what happened." she looked at each of the boys in turn.
"She went to go get coffee, and well I looked on the map—," Remus began.
"What map?" McGonagall interjected.
"Well, you see, she kind of made a map that shows where everyone in the whole castle is at any given time," Sirius said timidly. They hadn't planned on anyone knowing about the map, but this was a special situation.
"Extraordinary," mused McGonagall quietly, "Please, continue," She added.
"Well, I looked on the map and saw a dot with Mrs. Windfall's name on it. As soon as I saw it we all took off. Sirius to get you and James and me to help Val. When we got there she was on fire, well the ropes around her were on fire. Her mother had used the Cruciatus Curse before we got there and tried again after we got there. She started to duel us and said all she wanted was Madison. Then Valerie said something about Peter giving all of the information to her mother, and he probably helped her get in. He sees that she goes to the kitchens for coffee every night, and well you know..." the rest of the story spilled out of Remus. Once he had finished he looked close to tears.
"I have no doubt that had you not been there to stop Mrs. Windfall, Valerie would be dead right now. One hundred points each to Mr. Potter and Mr. Lupin for their superb dueling skills, and fifty to Mr. Black for his quick thinking and action to come and get help. I will question Mr. Pettigrew immediately." She took the boys up to their tower and got Peter out of his bed.
The very next morning, Peter's area was completely empty, and his trunk was missing. A note lay on top of his bed.
Boys,
                Valerie was right, it was Peter who fed all of the information to her mother. He also
                let her into the castle and helped her hide. He is on his way to Azkaban for assisting
                a known criminal with the full intent to harm or kill. Keep an eye on the map as
                well, and if you see anything please let me know. Margaret was not apprehended
                last night, however, she was spotted leaving Hogsmeade, so she shouldn't be around
                any longer.
    Well done boys,
                                               Professor M. McGonagall
After reading that, the boys dressed and headed straight to the hospital wing. They were intercepted at the door by Madam Pomfrey.
"She isn't awake yet. You may all come in and see her, and if you would like you may stay with her today. With that being said, it must stay quiet in here for her to rest and heal. She should be up soon, but I may need to put her out depending on her pain levels." She led them over to Val's bedside. They sucked in a breath. She was at least 75% bandages, and the rest of her skin was bruised blue and purple.
"I don't know about you guys but I plan on staying here all day. Can you guys go grab our books?" Remus asked quietly, and Sirius nodded. Wordlessly, the other two boys left. Remus pulled up a chair and gently took Valerie's hand. She looked so small and helpless lying in the hospital bed. His mind involuntarily began to wander to what could have happened the night before. Thankfully, Sirius and James returned soon after with their books, and they began studying. After an hour, they heard a noise.
"Mmnnnn," Valerie groaned. Remus nearly dropped the book he was holding. Her eyes flickered open, and Madam Pomfrey came bustling over.
"Valerie, do you remember what happened?" she asked gently. Valerie nodded slightly but immediately winced. "Do you want me to give you something for the pain?" Again Valerie nodded slightly. "Would you like one to put you asleep or would you rather stay awake for now?"
"Awake," Valerie croaked. After Madam Pomfrey helped her drink the potion, she helped Val sit up slightly. A few minutes later, Valerie was able to talk with minimal pain. "Hey, thank you, guys. You didn't have to do what you did. I could have taken it."
"Val, any longer and you would have died," Remus looked at her with a mixture of sadness and worry.
"Well, thank you. Hey, can one of you do me a favor?"
"Anything," James said.
"I need to write a letter to my parents, my adoptive parents. I need to warn them. If Peter told her about me, I'm sure he told her about them, too. I need to make sure they are safe, and maybe tell them they should go into hiding for a while. Can someone just get me a piece of parchment and a quill, please?"
"Are you sure? One of us could write it if you just tell us what to—" Remus began but was cut off by Valerie.
"No. I can do this," she said with determination. After Remus got her set up, she began to write. It was a painstaking effort, as it took a long time for her to try and write the words. It wasn't very neat, either, but she knew her parents wouldn't care. She just needed to make sure they were safe.
Dear Mum and Dad,
I'm sure you've heard of the attack by now. I'm fine, don't worry. The boys are here keeping me company. They truly saved me, you know. Anyway, I think it would be best if you guys went into hiding or something. She found me and I'm sure her informant told her about you guys as well. Please just be safe, I love you guys and I'll see you at home in a few weeks!
                                                           Love,
                                                                     Val
Once she had finished writing, Sirius offered to take it up to the owlery.
"Yeah, just find Ollie and he'll know where to take it." She laid back, exhausted.
"Alright, boys. It's time for Valerie to rest. You can all come back later." Madam Pomfrey came over to give Val something to help her sleep.

A few days later, Valerie's bandages were able to come off. The attack had left some scarring, but everything was healed up at least. Valerie was back pacing the common room, with the boys after her to rest and take it easy.
"Valerie Fremont, sit your ass down in this chair. You are going to do fine on the exams, now rest." Sirius scolded.
"Hey Val, you got a letter," James came in through the portrait. "I was just sending a letter to my parents when Ollie flew up and gave me this," He held out a small scroll of parchment.
"Thanks, James," Valerie sat down to read the letter.
Hey pumpkin,
Your mum and I heard about the attack, and we are very worried. Not for us, but for you. You must promise us that you won't go anywhere alone. I know you must finish your exams, but your mother doesn't agree. I have reasoned with her, and she has consented to let you stay for your exams, but we have arranged with Dumbledore to collect you by Floo as soon as you have completed your exams. Your mother doesn't feel that it is a good idea for you to ride the train. I must say I agree with her there. Now, boys- thank you so much for saving my daughter's life. Please keep an eye on her, and don't let her go anywhere by herself.
Miss you terribly Val,
                                        Mum and Dad
"Well, they are going to let me take my exams. I was almost sure they were going to come and get me as soon as I was up and walking," Val set the letter aside. "At least they are safe, but it doesn't sound like they plan on going into hiding..." she trailed off, before standing up and beginning to pace once more. She couldn't wait for exams to be over so that she could see her parents again.